Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Teff Crepes for #BreadBakers

This month at Bread Bakers we are celebrating Ancient Grains.  This theme was chosen by our host, Robin of A Shaggy Dough Story.  I love that name!  Robin blogs about bread and stuff....but bread is her main passion.  The rules for this Bread Bakers challenge? "Ancient grains are generally accepted to mean grains that have remained largely unchanged/un-hybridized over the last several hundred years, which means NO MODERN WHEAT".

So there you have it.  I read through the list provided and noted right away that I had teff and spelt in my cupboard from past challenges.  The spelt was used for some Chocolate Spice Cookies that I made from my SRC assignment.  The teff was used for an Ethiopian Dinner that I made after reading Yes, Chef by Marcus Samuellson for Cook the Books Club. Both of these are considered Ancient Grains.

I knew that I wanted to use one or both of these flours so they didn't just languish in my cupboard. The problem was that each search I conducted using these products also added wheat flour to the breads.  As you can see from the above rules, this was a no-no.

The injera that I made using the teff flour was very thin, almost crepe like, but using a sour starter.  I decided to forego the sour starter and just use the teff as I would any other flour when making crepes. I decided to fill them with a creamed spinach and mushroom mixture to which I added a hint of crushed red pepper and a touch of nutmeg and serve them as a Meatless Monday dinner last night.


I made the crepes as I would using any other flour.
1 c. teff flour, 1 c. milk, 1 egg and a pinch of salt.


As they cook turn them out onto paper towel placing a piece of paper towel between each crepe.
I used 4 crepes for dinner with the filling.
The others are in the freezer for another day.
I am thinking these would be very tasty with a cardamom cream filling for dessert.


They were absolutely delicious filled with the creamed spinach and mushrooms.
A perfect and healthy Meatless Monday meal.

Nothing like waiting until the last moment LOL.  I don't know what I would have done had they not turned out. Luckily for me they not only turned out....they turned out wonderfully.


The filling is easy, peasy and delicious. 
Just layer on the flavors.
Start by sauteeing some onions and mushrooms in butter.
Add  the spinach and spices and allow to wilt.
Add the cream and allow to absorb and thicken.

Teff Crepes

1 c. Teff Flour
1 c. Milk
1 egg
pinch of salt
butter for coating bottom of pan

Whisk together all ingredients except the butter.  Heat a 6" skillet over med high heat, brush with butter.  Add 2 T. of the batter and lifting the pan from the heat, swirl the batter to thinly coat the bottom of the pan.  Return to heat and cook until the top is dry and the bottom is lightly browned, about half a minute.  Flip from pan onto a paper towel.  Repeat until batter is gone placing a paper towel between each crepe. Print Recipe

Creamed Spinach and Mushroom Crepes

4 crepes
2 T. sweet onion, diced
4 oz. mushrooms, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
1 t. butter
5 oz. baby spinach leaves
1/4 t. chili paste (I used Gourmet Garden)
freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 c. heavy cream

Melt butter in large skillet over med high heat.  Add the onions and mushrooms.  Season with salt and pepper and cook until onion is translucent and the mushrooms start to shrink.  Add the spinach, chili paste and nutmeg.  Cook and stir until the spinach wilts and all released liquids from the mushrooms and spinach is gone, about a minute or so.  Add the cream, stir to combine and let cook for 5 minutes or until the cream is thickened and absorbed.  Place the filling onto the crepes and fold as desired. Print Recipe



Here are the creative offerings from the whole group!


#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated after each event on the #BreadBakers home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com.
BreadBakers

25 comments:

  1. I have yet to try making injera for some reason, but I love the idea of teff crepes. And I"m swooning over the mushroom filling. Yes please! Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you mention it, injera really is just like a big crepe, except for the fermentation part. Your filling sounds fabulous, Wendy! Simple and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the first thing I thought when I made the injera Stacy. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Your teff crepes reminds me of the buckwheat crepes hubby and I have had at the Jean Talon Market, Montreal. Love the filling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me of Injera I tried a while ago. That filling looks divine! Looks lovely Wendy...Am sure it tasted fabulous <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea!! I've never made crepes before, and using an ancient grain is a natural! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. Crepes are an easy and delicious platform for so many fillings, sweet and savory.

      Delete
  6. I've never made a crepe before let alone one with teff. Sure doesn't look like you had any difficulty at all! I haven't tried teff yet either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crepes are very easy. I was pleased with how they turned out using the Teff. Not as light and delicate as the flour crepes but still very tasty and they stood up well to the creamed mushroom and spinach mixture.

      Delete
  7. Wow teff crepes seem so much more easier and quicker to make than Injera. Love the creamy filling -- yummy meal indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much easier Pavani. No fermentation saves lots of time. These could easily be filled with Misr Wat.

      Delete
  8. Creamed spinach and mushrooms sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love spinach and mushrooms together, or separately for that matter LOL.

      Delete
  9. Oh so delicious!! What a great way to incorporate teff. I love spinach and mushrooms.. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. without the sourness that comes from fermentation I might actually like this version of injera because when I had it at Ethiopian restaurant I hated it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the injera was very sour. We didn't care for it either. The crepes were much more to our liking.

      Delete
  11. These teff crepes looks so delicious and mouthwatering.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tasty crepes with filling......awesome combo for breakfast.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were delicious as dinner too. Good any time of the day.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.