Monday, September 29, 2014

Marvelous Monday

What makes today marvelous?


  • I tried something new today...I went rollerskating.  I was horrid.  But I did not fall down and I am not giving up.  I am signing up for lessons, at least a couple, to see if I can get the hang of this.  I went during the old timer's skate so it was like a throwback to the 30's and 40's with all the music and skate dancing from that era.  It seems to be a theme this week.
  • I got to spend some time with Mom and she is doing wonderfully well.
  • I got some baby time in and gave Ting a chance to shower.
     
  • I got one of my freezers cleaned out.
  • We made a slew of Corn Chowder to put in the freezer I just cleaned. You can find my recipe for Corn Chowder right here.
  • I got all caught up on my blogs.
  • It is squash season so I am sharing two recipes with you.  Squash Puree which can then be used in many different recipes and Spaghetti Squash which is what's for dinner tonight.



First cut the pumpkin and the spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise for the spaghetti squash.
Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
Preheat oven to 400*


I don't season the pumpkin as I just want clean puree to use in other recipes.
I drizzle the spaghetti squash with olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper..



Flip them over and prick the skins with a sharp knife to prevent splitting.
Bake until fork tender.  
The pumpkin may start to collapse upon itself.


Remove the pumpkin from the shell and put into a strainer to allow all moisture to drain.



When the pumpkin puree is dry, place into a container and refrigerate or freeze until ready to use.

Pumpkin Puree

1 small pumpkin, halved and seeds removed

Place pumpkin, flesh side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Bake at 400* for about an hour, until the pumpkin starts to collapse and a fork can be inserted easily into the flesh. Scoop out pulp and place into a strainer.  Allow to drain for an hour or longer, until the flesh is completely dry.  Place into a container and refrigerate or freeze until ready to use. Print Recipe



Using a fork, start shredding the flesh of the spaghetti squash.
It will come out in strands.


Remove to a serving bowl.

pa

Top with your favorite Marinara sauce.
I topped mine with this recipe that I had canned.
Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese.

Spaghetti Squash Marinara

1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan Cheese

Place spaghetti squash halves onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Drizzle with a small amount of olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Flip so that flesh side is down, puncture flesh with a fork or small knife to allow steam to escape.  Bake at 400* for an hour or until easily pierced with a fork.  Remove from oven and flip over on baking sheet.  Using a fork, shred the flesh into strands and remove to a serving bowl.  Top with Marinara sauce that has been heated in a saucepan.  Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese and serve.  Print Recipe

I am sharing this recipe with Simple Supper Tuesday.  Stop by and grab some great easy meal ideas!

One year ago--Funday Sunday

4 comments:

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.