Thursday, September 11, 2014

I'm sure there was a Weekly Menu...

But you wouldn't know it by living in this household this week.  The only day that went according to schedule was Monday.  And then (new) life got in the way.

We ended up at the hospital on Tuesday and there we remained until yesterday evening when they sent us home to wait the arrival of our little girl.

So the chicken that was supposed to be for my Try it Tuesday menu sat in the fridge and the steaks for Tony's birthday celebration never made it out of the freezer.  My friend, Karen, who is staying here with us for a while, very kindly pulled the chicken out yesterday afternoon and made a complete roast chicken dinner that we will heat up tonight to have before choir.  Fish Friday is canceled and I will be making the sauerkraut and country ribs for us to have tomorrow night and to take over to Ting's to help stock her fridge.

Jackie went with me to Zumba this morning, we would have been laughing our butts off if we just could have breathed!  Then we stopped and saw Mom afterwards.  She was pretty sharp this morning. She was sitting with a "new neighbor" and introduced me as her oldest daughter and told her that she had 6 children.  She remembered Jackie was her daughter in law.  When I told her that Larry was coming soon, she remembered that he was her first child.

I dropped Jackie off at home and then ran up to the Farm for my weekly take, a quick stop at the grocery store and home to lunch...I was starving.  I made a special sandwich for lunch in honor of Food n Flix.  You can see my post and recipe here.

My refrigerator is filled to overflowing so I am having to do some serious cooking here.  The first thing I made (after lunch) was a crumble so I could use up 3 weeks worth of ground cherries and some peaches that were going to turn if they weren't used today.

What is a ground cherry, you ask?  I asked the same thing many years ago when I first joined the CSA and found them in my basket.


These are ground cherries


When you remove the husk there is a little berry inside.

So I did a google search and found this recipe for a ground cherry and pineapple crumble.  But of course I didn't have any pineapple so I used peaches instead and I didn't halve the ground cherries because...why???.  I also added some nutmeg because who wants a crumble without any seasoning? I kept the crumble though just as written because that sounded delicious!! 


Combine fruit and sugar in a baking pan.


Pulse remaining ingredients to a fine crumble and place on top of fruit.


Bake at 375* for 40 Minutes.


It was a little loose to be eaten on it's own but I put it over Ice Cream
 and Oh My Goodness....It was Heavenly!!



Ground Cherry and Peach Crumble Ice Cream Topping
adapted from Organic Gardening


3 c. ground cherries, husked and washed
1 c. peaches, peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/2 c. blanched almonds
1/4 c. flour
4 T. cold butter
1/2 c. brown sugar

Combine ground cherries, peaches, sugar and nutmeg.  Pour into an 8x8 baking pan.

Place remaining ingredients into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely ground.  Pour over the fruit.

Bake at 375* for 40 minutes or until fruit is tender and top is crisp and browned.  Print Recipe


No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.