Sunday, September 1, 2013

Corn Chowder.

I know I said I was done for the day but I just want to try adding this recipe and seeing if I can post it to pinterest.  It is one of my specialties and I hope you enjoy it as much as my family and friends.

This is my first batch of corn chowder to place in the freezer.  I have since made a second batch at my husband's insistence.  There is nothing better on a cold Michigan night then a hot bowl of summertime.
The recipe was adapted from Maine Ingredients, a cookbook put out by The Junior League of Portland, Maine and given to me as a gift from my in-laws after they visited the east coast.


Corn Chowder
adapted from Maine Ingredients.

Recipe as written serves 4.  I have never made it without at least doubling the recipe.

2 T. unsalted butter
1  med onion, quartered
1 stalk celery, halved
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded
4 small new potatoes, diced
1 c. water
4-5 cobs fresh sweet corn
freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 cup evaporated milk ( I use low-fat)
salt to taste

Place onion, celery and pepper in food processor and pulse until finely chopped.  Melt butter in saucepan over medium low heat, add chopped vegetables and cook for about 5 minutes.  To the same pan add the potatoes and water.  Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. 
While potatoes are simmering, remove corn from cobs ( you should have about 4 cups).  Add corn and spices to the potatoes, cover and simmer 10 min. longer.

Using a food processer or blender, puree half the solids with some of  the soups own liquid. Return to pan. (I use a stick blender and puree right in the pot). Add the milk and heat gently. 

This recipe freezes wonderfully.  In a pinch, when we run out of our stash and Frank is jonesing for some chowder I have used frozen corn with favorable results.

Enjoy!!

Printable Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.