Sunday, February 21, 2016

Citrus Salad for #SundaySupper

Welcome to Sunday Supper.  Our theme this month is Winter Salads, chosen by Sue from A Palatable Pastime,  I think this is a perfect theme.  We tend to think of salads as Spring and Summer foods as we enjoy the first early greens that spring up and continue to enjoy them through the growing season.  During the height of the season we start attending picnics and pot lucks where salads of all sorts are shared.  In the fall we start looking at the colder weather greens, chards, mustard greens, beet greens that we often mix with roasted squash or root vegetables to make a salad. But in the winter....well, at least here in the winter, we often are having casseroles, soups and stews that are chock full of vegetables so we don't really think about salads.

I originally thought of making a main course salad and toyed around with the idea of a lentil salad with flecks of lamb and a yogurt dressing and I may still do that but when I walked into the market the other day there were huge displays of winter fruit.  It is citrus season and it all looked so wonderful that I couldn't pass it up.  I bought a little bit of everything, grapefruit, oranges, blood oranges.  Then I grabbed a bunch of escarole and as I was walking past the herbs I noticed some fresh Michigan mint.  I don't know where in Michigan they got it, perhaps a greenhouse?  I think it is still early for mint even though we have had a very mild winter.


Citrus Salad

1 bunch escarole, trimmed washed and dried
1 grapefruit, peel and white pith removed, sliced and then quartered
1 orange, peel and pith removed, sliced
2 baby blood oranges, peel and pith removed, sliced
small amount of red onion, thinly sliced
leaves of 2 mint sprigs, coarsely chopped
zest of above orange
juice of 1/2 lemon (about 1  1/2 T.)
2 T. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Spread escarole onto a platter.  Scatter the oranges,grapefruit, onion and mint over the escarole.

Whisk together the orange zest, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.  Drizzle over the salad and serve.  Print Recipe


#SundaySupper Winter Salads
Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.


25 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy, I'm just like you in our love of citrus in salads! Funny, but I was thinking first of a grapefruit and orange salad! I love your salad and will add it to my salads to enjoy! Nice to meet and follow you now. Roz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even living in Michigan, I eat salads at least 5 times a week for dinner. There are a lot of greenhouse grown foods here. The strawberries in particular have been amazing. Pretty crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Wendy! Thanks for stopping by. Your citrus salad hits a food nerve today. I must be needing some vitamin C. T

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love a green salad with citrus and a simple dressing. This looks delicious, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous salad, Wendy! I love the look of blood oranges---so striking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Wendy, we have a huge pink grapefruit tree in our front yard, always looking for new recipes. This looks like a real keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so jealous that you have citrus right in your yard Cheri.

      Delete
  7. Your salad looks beautiful with all that fresh citrus - I like that you added mint.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This would be a salad I would love! Sounds refreshing too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a grapefruit lover and always looking for ways to use it. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a good citrus salad! It's one of my favorites to serve with rich cream sauced foods.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.