Wednesday, March 4, 2015

A Peanutty Treat for #Foodie Extravaganza

foodieextravaganza

That's right....In March we celebrate Peanuts!!  

Now the recipe I chose to share with you is delicious and peanutty but it was created for Chinese New Year which was celebrated last month.  You can see our menu here.  See those Chinese New Year Cookies at the bottom of the menu?  They are delicious. They are easy, peasy.  They are full of peanutty goodness.  So just change the name to Crunchy Peanut Surprise Cookies and you are all set for National Peanut Month.  You're Welcome. And then when you are done looking at copying my recipe you can join the party at take a look at the other 9 wonderful peanutty recipes shared this month.  You are welcome again.

When I was planning my dinner for Chinese New Year I tried to incorporate as many of my club requirements as I could.  Two of my appetizers, Roasted Red Pepper Pinwheels and Clams with Black Beans, were also used for Sunday Supper posts.  The Ginger Venison Stir Fry was used to showcase one of my cookbooks in the challenge I have given myself this year and this post for Foodie Extravaganza rounded it all up.

I did a google search for "peanut recipes celebrating Chinese New Year" and this recipe popped up on Cooks.com.  I adapted it slightly, using chocolate chips instead of peanut butter chips because that was what I had on hand.  I also have a little confession to make....I did not really make these cookies. My little girlfriend and adopted grand-daughter, Raechal, who is 10 years old, was here and she made them while I worked on other aspects of the dinner.  Great job Rae!!!!


Rae not only made the cookies for me but she followed the directions and needed absolutely no assistance from me.  Then she taste tested them, took a couple for her mom and brother and piled the rest onto a serving platter for the celebration.



Crunchy Peanut Surprise Cookies (aka Chinese New Year Cookies)
slightly adapted from Cooks.com

1 (12 oz) pkg Butterscotch Chips
1 (12 oz) pkg Chocolate Chips
6 oz. pkg Chow Mein Noodles
2 c. peanuts

Place both bags of chips in a large microwave safe bowl.  Microwave on high for 1 minute, stir.  Microwave on high in 30 second increments stirring after each until completely melted.  Stir in Chow Mein Noodles and Peanuts.  Drop by spoonfuls onto parchment paper and allow to harden.



Welcome to the March Foodie Extravaganza!   

This month the ingredient is Peanuts!  We have a great variety of yummy recipes from main dishes to desserts to share with you.  If you would like to participate in the next Foodie Extravaganza, just go to the Facebook page to join.  We would love to have you!
  Here are 11 delicious Peanut Recipes!
Peanut and Candy Popcorn Ball from We Like to Learn as We Go
Kung Pao Chicken from Fearlessly Creative Mammas
Peanut Almond Polvoron from The Joyful Foodie
Cold Spicy Peanut Noodles from Culinary Adventure with Camilla
Oatmeal Peanut Butter Scones from Baking in Pyjamas
Reese's Cheesecake Brownies from Making Miracles
Peanut Crunch Pull Apart Bread from Mrs. Penguin 
 Spicy Georgia Sugared Peanuts from Food Lust People Love
Chocolate Caramel Peanut Clusters from The Freshman Cook 
 A Peanutty Treat from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Whoopie Pies with Peanut Filling from Passion Kneaded

20 comments:

  1. Awww - I love haystack type cookies! They bring back such fond memories of Christmas with my grandma. I've only made them once with my son, many years ago. I will have to make them again soon with my kiddos. :) Great choice for Chinese New Years and our peanut celebration today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are such a fun treat I know my kids will love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And easy so that they can help you with them or do it for themselves depending on the age range.

      Delete
  3. Rae is one talented young lady! What a great recipe, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun and tasty little treat, they sound really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if you don't care for butterscotch you can use peanut butter chips or just all chocolate chips.

      Delete
  5. These look SO tasty! Thanks for sharing with #foodieextravaganza, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy Peasy Cam the next time your boys want to whip something up in the kitchen but don't have much time.

      Delete
  6. What a fun cookie! I've never had anything like these for our New Year celebrations. Maybe I should introduce them next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't know how authentic they are but they are tasty.

      Delete
  7. How fun to have a young cook helping you! A great way to introduce her to new things and for you to get more done! I didn't realize these were for Chinese New Year. I love these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think someone decided that since they contain chow mein noodles they would be good for Chinese new year LOL

      Delete
  8. These look amazing! I am looking forward to making these! Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! A friend used to make these for me. He would never tell me the recipe because he wanted to be my supplier. I always kept forgetting to look them up so that I could make them after he moved. So easy. Rae did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I've made something similiar before? But with chex instead of chow mein noodles, I feel like I need to try it now :) Looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.