Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Lapsang Souchong Smoked Beef Roast

A couple of weeks ago, I shared with you my visit with Stacy of Food, Lust, People, Love at her friend, Naszreen's tea shoppe, The Rendezvous with Tea.  While I was there Naszreen gifted me some lovely, smoky, decadent Lapsang Souchoung tea.  It smelled delicious and we discussed how not only would it be wonderful to drink with beef but that it would make a wonderful rub to use on a beef roast.

We were right......


I crumbled the tea.


Mixed it with salt, pepper, garlic and olive oil.


Massaged the rub over both sides of a Chuck Roast.


Browned the meat.


While the meat was searing I placed some vegetables in the bottom of the crockpot.



Place the browned meat on top of the vegetables.


Deglaze the pan with water, creating this beautiful, golden, fragrant braising liquid.
Pour this liquid over the roast and vegetables and set on low heat for 8 hrs.


The beef was tender, flavorful and delicious with a slight hint of smokiness from the tea.
The only problem was that there were no leftovers with which to make the dinner I had planned for tomorrow night.

Lapsang Souchong Smoked Beef Roast

1 beef pot roast, I used a Chuck Roast
2 T. Lapsang Souchong tea leaves
2 T. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 clove garlic, minced
1 onion, quartered
2 stalks celery, cut into 2" pieces
1 small bag baby carrots

Crush tea leaves and place in small bowl.  Add the olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic and mix together. Pat the beef roast dry.  Rub tea mixture over both sides of the beef roast.  Heat a large skillet over med high heat.  Place beef roast in dry hot skillet and sear for about 5 minutes, flip roast and sear for 3 or 4 more minutes until browned on both sides.  While beef is searing place vegetables in the bottom of a crock pot.  When beef is browned, remove from pan and lay over vegetables.  Carefully add 2 cups of water into the hot skillet and boil, scraping up any brown bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan.  Pour over meat and vegetables.  Cover and cook on low setting for 8 hrs. Print Recipe






2 comments:

  1. No leftovers! What a sad, sad problem to have when a dish is so delicious. I've got to admit that the leftovers are often my favorite part. That looks and sounds really lovely, Wendy. I've got a roast in the freezer that's now got "lapsang souchong smoked beef" on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacy. I wish I was able to capture the aromas and send them to you. It smelled heavenly in here.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.