Saturday, March 21, 2015

Thassa one juicy meatball!!

We enjoyed meatballs with mushroom gravy for dinner tonight.  Served with mashed potatoes and buttered corn.  This is one of Frank's favorite meals so I thought I would give him one last hurrah before Spring seriously descends and our slow cooked comfort food gets traded in for salads and grilled meats.

The recipe I am giving you will make 2 dozen or more large meatballs.  I used half of them for tonight's dinner and put the other half into the freezer for another night.  Right now, I am thinking that Meatball Subs might be on the menu next week.  Doesn't that sound good?

I only made enough gravy for a dozen meatballs but if you have a large family or are expecting a crowd, you can double the gravy recipe and add all the meatballs.  That should give you enough food for 8 adults.


Make the meatballs by combining the pork and beef with the egg, breadcrumbs and onions and garlic that have been sauteed in butter.  I was out of onions so I used a leek that I had in the refrigerator. Onion is onion is onion.


Bake the meatballs for half an hour, rotating the baking sheet halfway through the cooking time.


Saute the mushrooms in butter. 
Season liberally with salt and pepper.


Add the flour and stir until flour turns brown and nutty smelling.


Add the beef broth, cook and stir until smooth and thickened.


Add the meatballs to the gravy and heat through.


Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy.


We like to serve our Meatballs in Mushroom Gravy over Mashed Potatoes with a side of Buttered Corn.  Sometimes I try to sneak in a green vegetable every once in a while but didn't bother with that tonight.

Meatballs in Mushroom Gravy

For the Meatballs:

1 lb. ground beef
1 lb ground pork
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste
1 c. fresh bread crumbs
2 T. butter
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced

In a large bowl combine meats, egg, salt, pepper and bread crumbs.  In a small skillet, melt butter over med heat.  Add onions and garlic and cook until softened and fragrant.  Add to meat mixture and combine thoroughly.  Shape into meatballs, 1 1/2-2" in diameter.  Place on a baking sheep lined with parchment paper.  Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 15 minutes, rotate baking pan and bake for another 15 minutes.  Remove meatballs from oven and set aside.

For the Gravy:

1/4 c. butter
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 c. flour
2 c. beef broth

Melt butter in skillet or dutch oven.  Add mushrooms, season liberally with salt and pepper, and cook until softened.  Add flour and stir until browned and nutty smelling.  Stir in the broth.  Cook and stir until gravy thickens.  Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.  Add reserved meatballs to the gravy and heat through.  Print Recipe

17 comments:

  1. These look amazing, Wendy! I was just craving meatballs earlier today! I'm putting this on this week's menu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, hope you enjoy them. I invited your folks to have dinner with us tonight but they had prior commitments.

      Delete
    2. Mom Klik is looking over my shoulder as I check my Facebook page, today, and she wants to say that she is glad everyone is enjoying her recipe for Meatballs in Mushroom Gravy...she says that this recipe has been in her family for more than 75 years! She says that she enjoyed this recipe as a child when her mother made it for the family and that she loved raising her children on it, as well!

      Delete
    3. This recipe, the stuffed cabbage recipe, the sauerkraut recipe and the mushroom soup recipe have all been printed on these pages. You cannot improve on perfection.

      Delete
  2. Yummy! I am so excited about our conversation tonight. I hope we can make it a 'dream come true'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the title of your blog :-) And great meatballs with a delish sauce, I am really into mushrooms right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is little more satisfying than meatballs and gravy! Mr. Saucy would love this recipe! <3 P~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love a good juicy meatball!! And that mushroom sauce!! Swoon :) Pinned!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look like delicious comfort food! So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love meatballs but I don't like red sauce so this recipe is totally for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we love the red sauce too but sometimes you just want gravy.

      Delete
  8. Making this recipe now. Got 30 meatballs and want to save half for another day but wondering if you freeze them before or after baking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either way is fine but I normally bake them first that way it is much quicker on the day you want to serve.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.