Thursday, March 12, 2015

Uhoh....I'm outta butter chocolate chip pudding cookies

I went to bake my cookies for the Parish Fish Fry this week opened the fridge and......no butter.  Went to the freezer and.....no butter.  Looks like it is time for a Costco trip for us but in the meanwhile I still wanted to bake the cookies this morning and I didn't want to run out to the store.

If I wanted to get dressed and run to the store I would have gone to Zumba, but I was lazy today.....you can read about that here.  Besides, I knew that once I got showered, dressed and out the door my plans for scrubbing down the refrigerator were out the window.  So I started scrounging through my fridge and pantry and saw my canister of coconut oil.   I love coconut oil and I know it is healthy for you.  It has a low melting point but when cold it looks like shortening.  My mother used to use shortening in place of butter all the time. Then I found a couple of boxes of  vanilla instant pudding mix stuck in the back of my baking cupboard as well as some milk chocolate chips.   My decision was made and folks, these may be the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever made.  I don't know that I will ever use butter again....unless I am baking for Kirsten, because she is allergic to coconut.


Uhoh, I am out of Butter, Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies

1 c. coconut oil
1 c. brown sugar, packed
2 t. baking soda
2 c. flour
2 (4 serving size) pkgs of instant vanilla pudding mix
3 eggs
1 (12 oz) pkg of milk chocolate chips

In large bowl of stand mixer, fitted with paddle attachment, cream coconut oil with brown sugar and soda.  Gradually add the flour and pudding mix, alternating between 1 box of pudding mix and 1 c. of flour, until combined.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each.  Stir in the milk chocolate chips.  Bake on parchment lined baking sheets in a preheated 375* oven for 10 minutes.  Cool on wire racks.  Print Recipe

3 comments:

  1. Wendy those are brilliant! Definitely going to give these a try. Yumm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome recipe Wendy, never had Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies and great substitution.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.