Sunday, March 1, 2015

Clams with Black Beans for #SundaySupper

Hello and Happy Sunday.  I love Sundays.  Sundays in our house are normally family days.  Quiet, relaxed and comfortable.  I have joined up today with Sunday Supper Movement.  A movement that is working to bring back the idea of slow cooking, family gathered around the table and memories made.  Won't you join us!


Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

This week we are having a Beantastic experience.  We are celebrating all types of beans with delicious recipes.  You will find all of our groups recipes at the bottom of this post.  Please stop by and take a look at all the wonderful creations that they worked so hard to make for you.

If you are a regular reader of my blog, you know that we took in a Chinese exchange student about 8 years ago and made her our own.  She has become our daughter and has now blessed us with our first grandchild, a beautiful little miss named Melody Elizabeth.

So, we cook Chinese food around here every once in a while because besides her family, Ting also really misses the food from home.  I bought a cookbook a while back by Eileen Yin-Fe Lo called My Grandmother's Chinese Kitchen.

Image result for my grandmother's chinese kitchen

When we celebrated Chinese New Year last weekend I found a great recipe for Clams with Black Beans (See Jop Chau Hin) that I thought would be great not only for our family gathering but for today's post.


Clams with Black Beans (See Jop Chau Hin)
very slightly adapted from My Grandmother's Chinese Kitchen

Sauce
2 T. oyster sauce
1 t. soy sauce
1 t. sesame oil
1 T. Chinese cooking wine
3/4 t. sugar
1 T. cornstarch
pepper to taste
5 oz. vegetable stock

30 Cherrystone Clams
3 T. peanut oil
1 T.ginger paste
1 T. minced garlic
2 T.  Black Bean Garlic Sauce  

Mix all ingredients for sauce and set aside.

Bring a large pot of water to boil, add clams, bring back to  boil and cook, stirring occasionally. As the clams begin to open remove them to a bowl and set aside.

Heat wok ove high heat.  Add oil, ginger, garlic and Black Beans, stir and mix until fragrant, 1 or 2 minutes.  Add clams, stir and mix for a couple of minutes.  Pour in sauce. Stir continually until sauce thickens and clams are coated.  Print Recipe

And here is what the others brought to the table for Sunday Supper.


Beantastic Beginners:


Bean-a-rific Soups and Stews:
Bean-a-licious Sides:
Incredi-bean Main Meals:
Amaze-beans Sweet Endings:

37 comments:

  1. I don't often think of black beans in Chinese cuisine. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor did I Lauren, I was excited when I found a recipe that could be used for dual purposes.

      Delete
  2. I love, love Chinese black bean sauce!! What a marvelous dish, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is now on my Love list too Liz. This was the first time I ever tried it.

      Delete
  3. Diana @DandelionGreensBlogMarch 1, 2015 at 1:36 PM

    What a unique and delicious dish. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love brown sauce on seafood. Black bean sauce gives it extra character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting and tasty flavor combination :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was excited to find a flavor profile that fit so many of my needs.

      Delete
  6. This looks so wonderful! I love the flavors!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love clams so I must give this recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that you used black bean sauce for the bean theme. That is brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh love clams and this looks like a great recipe with a bit of black beans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a unique dish! I am putting that cookbook on my Amazon wish list ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great cookbook Kimberly and has lots of family stories and Chinese culture included within.

      Delete
  11. My family would love this, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Carrie, please let me know how they like it.

      Delete
  12. Richard would have loved this dish. He was really crazy about clams!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I *love* clams, this looks great!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.