Monday, March 2, 2015

A Couple of Recipes from our After Dive Party

Yesterday we hosted our After Dive Party from our trip to Statia.    I had shared my menu for the party with you here.  As with all menus there were some changes.


The fish was lovely.
Not only was the presentation colorful but the fish was tender and delicate.
One of my guests gave me a huge compliment by saying it was better than any of the fish dishes we enjoyed while on the Island and we had some GREAT fish dishes while there.

I couldn't find Grouper so I used MahiMahi.  I was feeding 20 ppl so instead of wrapping the ingredients in foil, I put them all in a covered roaster.  It was delicious!  The recipe was taken from the Statia Cookbook that I purchased when we were there.  I am giving you the version for 4 servings but don't hesitate to make it for a crowd.....easy peasy.

Image result for statia cookbook

MahiMahi with Peppers and Onions
adapted from Grouper in Papillote from The Statia Cookbook.

4 Mahi Mahi Fillets
1 red or yellow pepper, sliced
1 small onion, sliced
1/2 c. white wine
1/2 c. olive oil
salt, pepper and thyme to taste

Place MahiMahi fillets on a large piece of aluminum foil (or in a baking pan).  Sprinkle with salt pepper and thyme.  Scatter the peppers and onions on top of the fish.  Pour the olive oil and white wine over all and seal the foil or cover the baking pan with foil.  Bake in a hot oven (450*) or place foil packets over a hot grill for 15-20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.  Print Recipe

Image result for Kitchen Fare International Menus Cookbook

The second recipe I would like to share with you is one I often serve at parties when I want to impart an "Island" feel.  I found this Pineapple Chicken recipe in a cookbook called International Menus.  I always serve it with Rice Mingle Salad which is from the same cookbook.  This chicken is a great meal to serve to a crowd.  It can be made ahead of time and reheated or served at room temperature.


I handed Frank the platter to place on the buffet table and asked him to please take a photo as well.
I guess he was distracted and didn't think to remove the tongs LOL.
I tripled this recipe and made 30 pieces of chicken.
I have printed it here as presented in the cookbook.
I used panko bread crumbs and I omitted the MSG that was included in the original recipe.

Pineapple Chicken
adapted from Kitchen Fare, International Menus Cookbook

2 chickens, cut into serving pieces
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 (6 oz) can frozen pineapple juice, thawed
1 1/3 c. panko bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 c. melted butter
1 1/3 c. flaked coconut

Rinse and pat dry chicken pieces.  Combine undiluted, thawed pineapple juice and egg in a shallow bowl or pie tin.  Combine bread crumbs, salt and pepper, butter and coconut in a plastic, sealable bag. Coat chicken pieces in pineapple mixture and then shake in coconut mixture.  Place on 2 shallow baking sheets that have been lined with aluminum foil.  Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 40 minutes. Reverse baking sheets positions in the oven and bake an additional 40 minutes.  Print Recipe

2 comments:

  1. I love fish. But sadly my kiddos aren't real crazy about it. But that chicken would be something they love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy too except that you need to be around while it bakes for an hour or so.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.