Monday, March 9, 2015

Chocolate Coconut Bird's Nests for SRC

I love my Secret Recipe Club.  Each month I look forward to the 4th Monday because that is the reveal day for our group.  SRC started out with just one group and grew by leaps and bounds so now there are 4 groups and a waiting list of people wanting to join.  That fact alone tells you what a great club this is.  I belong to Group D and have met so many wonderful people since joining.


This month Group B's leader put out an SOS for a volunteer to take the spot of one of her members who was unable to participate this month.  I jumped at the chance to do a guest post and was assigned to Clarks Condensed.  The whole idea with SRC is that you sneak into another blog and nose around. You get to know a little bit about the person you were assigned and you choose a recipe from their file and recreate it.  Then we all get together on reveal day and share the recipes we found and how they turned out.

Clarks Condensed is a blog about the Clark family, Katie, Forrest and 2 year old, Jack, who is adorable.  The Clarks have only been married a few short years and blog about their lives, their recipes, their religion and their travels.  It makes for very interesting reading so if you have a few extra moments you are going to want to check them out.

They have a LOT of recipes too!!  Wonderful recipes...baked cinnamon roll oatmeal, Mexican Lasagna, CopyCat Taco Bell pizza, about 20 different popcorn recipes, tons of cookies and cakes, shephard's pie...I was getting confused.  There were too many great recipes from which to choose. Luckily, for me, our church is hosting fish fry's each Friday during Lent and my contribution (along with many other parishioners) is to make cookies each week for them to pass out as dessert.  So that was where I concentrated my energy and it was still a hard choice because there were so many great choices.  Then I came across Coconut and Butterscotch Bird's Nest.  This was a perfect Easter cookie and since we are preparing for Easter throughout Lent I knew they would be a hit at the fish fry.  In fact, last year I made Bird's Nest Cookies as well but it was a completely different recipe and style.



These cookies are a no bake cookie which always makes me smile.  I did make one slight adaptations to the recipe. I used milk chocolate chips instead of butterscotch because I had a package on hand and didn't want to run out to the store.  So my cookies are not quite as authentic looking as the Clark's were (colorwise) but they sure were delicious. Thanks, Katie, for sharing this recipe.  I can't wait until my granddaughter is Jack's age and can help me make these again.

Chocolate Coconut Bird's Nests
adapted from Clark's Condensed

1 (12 oz) pkg. Milk Chocolate Chips
1 T. oil (I used coconut)
1 c. crunch chow mein noodles
1 1/2 c. flaked coconut
1 pkg. pastel peanut M&M candies (or other egg shaped candies)

Place chocolate chips and oil in large, microwave safe bowl.  Microwave on high in 30 second increments, stirring after each, until melted and smooth.  Mix in chow mein noodles and coconut.  Immediately use a spoon to form little nests on parchment paper.  Press chocolate eggs into nest.  Refrigerate until set.  Print Recipe




16 comments:

  1. These would be so much fun to make with my little guy for easter! Thanks for sharing the awesome recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be fun. Nothing better than having a little sous chef in the kitchen Heather.

      Delete
  2. What fun, Wendy! This looks absolutely perfect for Easter! Thanks for pitching in with Group B this month. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute Easter SRC pick! My dad would adore these...great job!
    xoxo from London

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cute, easy to make recipes like this! So great for Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't made these in so long! I forgot how cute they are. I love the addition of coconut too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe! I'm so glad it was such a hit :) Love your site as well. I'm glad you were able to check out my site for this. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun visiting your site Katie and I look forward to the next time

      Delete
  7. So cute and perfect for spring! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. adorable! perfect for this time of year

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.