Monday, October 27, 2014

Meatless Monday Monicatti

I had a pretty uneventful day today.  Ting and Mel spent the night last night so I got my baby fix this morning and then Frank got his baby fix when Ting went grocery shopping and I went to meet my friend, Linda, for her birthday lunch.  Linda's birthday was a couple of weeks ago but this was the first chance we had to get together.

After lunch I went and did some Christmas shopping.  Don't yell at me....I need to start early so I don't run out of time, stamina and money!!  Then I stopped to visit with Mom.  They were making turkeys out of paper plates and writing what they were thankful for on the tail feathers.  Mom had written "my Wendy" on hers....it melted my heart.

A grocery store visit and then home to make dinner for Frank who was at an afternoon meeting.  I am sharing my Monicatti recipe with you.  I first started making this during Lent when my children were young and Friday's were meatless.  Now Monday's are meatless most of the time and Fridays are Fish most of the time and Fish and/or Meatless all of the time during Lent.

I am not sure where I first got the recipe but I think it was off the back of a box of Lasagna noodles.


This is a very simple recipe with very simple ingredients.


You mix the egg, cheeses and herbs together in a small bowl.


Coat the bottom of your baking pan with Marinara Sauce.


Cook Lasagna Noodles per package directions and then cut in half.


Plop some filling onto each half of noodle.
Roll em up and nestle them into the pan.
An 8x8" pan will hold 9 Monicatti.


Pour the remaining sauce over the Monicatti.
Sprinkle with additional Parmesan Cheese.
Bake at 350* for 30 minutes.


Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
This recipe can easily be doubled, tripled or quadrupled if you have more people to feed.
It also freezes well for those busy nights when you don't have time to cook.

Monicatti

5 Lasagna Noodles, cooked per package directions.
1 large egg
2/3 c. Mozzarella Cheese
2/3 c. Ricotta Cheese
1/4 c. Parmesan Cheese, plus more for sprinkling on top
1 T. fresh Italian Herbs or 1 t. dried Italian Herbs
1 pint Marinara Sauce, my recipe is found here

Place a small amount of Marinara Sauce in the bottom of an 8x8" baking pan.  Cut the lasagna noodles in half width wise, you will have an extra half of noodle.  In a small bowl combine the egg, herbs and cheeses.  Place a heaping tablespoon dollop of cheese in the center of each noodle and wrap the ends around it creating your monicatti. Place each monicatti, seam side down in the baking pan, three per row.  Top with remaining Marinara Sauce and sprinkle with additional Parmesan Cheese.  Bake in a 350* oven for 30 minutes until hot and bubbly and cheese is beginning to brown.
Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.  Print Recipe

One year ago--Savoring Sunday






2 comments:

  1. That sounds very simple. I'll have to add it to my repertoire. That was so sweet..."My Wendy".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very heart wrenching Paula and I hope you enjoy the pasta.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.