Sunday, September 7, 2014

Soup Failure

I put together my split pea soup, that I have made 1,476,325 times (at least), put it into the crockpot and let it cook while I slept.  This morning, I got up, and started taking the ham off the bone...and noticed that my soup smelled different than it normally does.  I tasted it and it seemed a little sour to me.  I added some seasoning and the ham I cut off the bone and tasted it again and it still seemed off so I had Frank taste it and he asked what I had done differently.  I said nothing and tasted it again. Then I set it aside and started working on my casserole.  While I was doing that I noticed some chicken backs in the fridge that I was supposed to make broth from when we last had chicken on Labor Day, a week ago.  Then I started thinking when was the last time I made chicken broth (which, of course, I had used in my soup) and I couldn't remember.  So the mystery was solved, my chicken broth had soured.  The soup went down the garbage disposal and now I am feeling kinda funky.  I am hoping it is all just in my head, knowing that I had about 6 spoonfuls to try to figure out what was wrong.  Ugh.....

So please, feel free to use my Split Pea Soup recipe, it is normally delicious, just make sure your chicken broth is good.

Anyway the soup is off the menu, but I still had ham and some kohlrabi that I needed to use so I got on line and found this recipe that I adapted to make a casserole for dinner tonight.


1 large or 2 small Kohlrabi, diced


4-5 med red potatoes, diced


2 c. of diced ham


Cheese sauce with ham, seasoned with nutmeg and pepper


Boil the kohlrabi and potatoes.
Place into prepared casserole.


Add Cheese Sauce and Ham.


Sprinkle with bread crumbs.


Bake until hot and bubbly.


Ham and Kohlrabi Bake
adapted from skydivingparrot

1 large Kohlrabi, peeled and diced
4-5 med. red potatoes, diced
2 c. large diced ham
2 2/3 c. 1% milk
6 T. flour
1 1/2 c. cheddar jack cheese blend, shredded
pepper to taste
1/4 t. nutmeg
Panko Bread Crumbs.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the kohlrabi and cook for 15 minutes, add the potatoes and continue to cook for another 10 min.  Drain.

Heat 2 c. of the milk in a large sauce pan.  In a small jar shake together the 2/3 c. milk and flour until smooth.  Whisk into the hot milk mixture, stir and cook until it starts to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese and ham stirring until the cheese melts.  Season with pepper to taste and nutmeg.

Spray a casserole with olive oil.  Pour vegetables into the casserole, pour ham and cheese mixture over the vegetables and toss to combine.  Sprinkle with a couple of handfuls of panko breadcrumbs.

Bake at 400* for 30-40 minutes, until hot, bubbly and browned on top.  Print Recipe

This is a great fall recipe that I am going to share at Wednesday Whatsit's.

One year ago-Weekly Menu and White Chicken Chili and Just a Couple More Things



2 comments:

  1. Dang, I hate it when things like that happen. But the casserole looked delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Paula, I'm just glad I made the soup last night so I could scramble for another plan since I was having company tonight. The casserole turned out pretty good.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.