Saturday, September 7, 2013

Weekly Menu and White Chicken Chili


Saturdays are traditionally my day to put together a menu for the following week. I seldom need to get much from the grocery store as my freezers are filled with my chickens, turkeys and pork as well as beef that I purchase from my friends, the Ruemenapps, fish provided by friends and venison provided by my nephew, Randy.  Preparing the menus for the week helps me to remember to take items out of the freezer, check my pantry and fridge and make up a list for the grocery store for any items I don't have on hand.  I use the cozi app on our phones for our calendar and shopping lists.  This is a very handy little tool.  Anything that either Frank or I enter onto the calendar or onto the shopping lists automatically go onto both phones.  This enables us to check the app whenever we are making plans or stop at the store and automatically know what is planned or needed.


Hey look....all these chickens are named Wendy!

As you look at my menu below you will notice that we are having dishes using chicken 3 times this week, starting with my White Chicken Chili today.  So I pulled 3 chickens from the freezer and prepped them for the meals I will be serving.


I removed the breast meat from the bones and took off the skin.  I used 4 breast halves for my
 meal today and packaged 2 in the refrigerator to use for Tuesday's dinner.


I will use the legs and thighs on Sunday.


I place all the bones and scraps in my stockpot so that I have chicken broth ready for the week.


Sometimes I add the wings to the stockpot also but today I am making them for Tingting because she doesn't like beans so won't enjoy my White Chicken Chili.




This week, Frank is having a CPL (Concealed Pistol License) class at the house on Saturday.  This is an all day class so we provide lunch for the students. I am going to make White Chicken Chili and Corn Bread and we will have dinner out after the class.

This is my recipe for White Chicken Chili:
1 lb. Chicken Breast, cut into bite size pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 med. onion, chopped
3 cans chicken broth or 6 cups homemade stock
3 cans white navy beans or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 small can of green chiles
1 t. cumin
1 T. oregano
dash of cayenne pepper or hot sauce

Heat 1 T. oil (I use olive or coconut)in a stock pot.  Add chicken, onions and garlic and cook until chicken is no longer pink. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 10-15 min. or place in crockpot and cook on low until ready to serve.  I like to top mine with shredded Mexican cheese blend and tricolor tortilla strips. 



Sunday I am making Kurt dinner for his birthday.

Monday we have a pot luck to attend for our Parish's Pastoral Council.  This is our first meeting after summer break and I was assigned a vegetable dish.  I am bringing my Beet and Tomato Salad.

Tuesday is traditionally date night at our house but I think we will spend date night home this week and make Frank one of his favorite dinners.  If the weather is warm we can hang out in the pool and if not we can hang out in the hot tub.  This is a treat for us because normally only one of us can go in at a time while the other stays with Mom.

Thursday we will have Dick and Jackie over for dinner and then they will stay with Mom while we go to choir.


 So here is what my menu looks like for the week.
Saturday-CPL Class
White Chicken Chili
Corn Bread
(Dinner out)
Sunday-Kurt's Birthday Dinner
Egg Noodles
Steamed Green Beans
Birthday Cake provided by Kim

Monday-Parish Council Potluck

Tuesday
Chicken Marsala
Fettuccine Alfredo
Glazed Carrots

Wednesday
Grilled Steaks
Potato Planks
Sautéed Summer Squash

Thursday
Steamed Rice
Stir Fried Vegetables

Friday
Pizza Night
Find many more menus at Menu Plan Monday

1 comment:

  1. Mom I followed the link here, so it worked

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.