Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Company for Dinner on Try it Tuesday.

The Baked Honey Sesame Chicken that I found on Pinterest, posted originally by the Recipe Critic, was absolutely sublime!!  I had my son, Chuck's  friend, Camie and her sister, Kaitlin and niece, Amelia, over for dinner.  Kaitlin said that it was the best homemade Chinese food she had ever eaten.

I was concerned when I read the recipe because it had you dredge the chicken in cornstarch prior to covering it with beaten egg.  I thought perhaps it was a mistake in the recipe because normally when you bread something you dredge in dry, in wet and then again in dry.  But I bit the bullet and cooked it as it was written.  It was perfect!!  This recipe is definitely a keeper!!!


Baked Honey Sesame Chicken
slightly adapted from The Recipe Critic

1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
1 c. cornstarch
salt and pepper
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 c. Canola oil
3/4 c. honey
3/4 c. lite soy sauce
1/2 c. ketchup
1/2 c. light brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 c. rice wine vinegar
1 t. dark sesame oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 T. cornstarch (left from the cup used for breading)


Place cornstarch, salt and pepper into a plastic bag.  Add chicken and shake to cover.

Place 3 eggs into a shallow bowl and beat with a fork.

Place canola oil into a large skillet and heat to med high.

Remove chicken from bag and cover with egg mixture.  Place into hot oil and cook, in batches, until browned on both sides.  Remove chicken to a casserole and set aside,

Mix remaining ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.   1 hour before serving time, preheat oven to 325*.  After 15 minutes pour sauce over chicken in casserole and toss to coat.  Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes, tossing the chicken every 15 minutes so it is evenly coated.  Print Recipe

Dinner turned out lovely and Camie's sister is as wonderful as Camie.  We now have new family members and are looking forward to spending time with Kaitlin and Amelia and meeting Joshua.


We all enjoyed dinner very much.  We had eggrolls that I purchased from the deli and reheated as the chicken baked, steamed rice, celery steak and garlic green beans


It was a wonderful night that ended around 8 pm when Mom announced that it was time for everyone to go home....including us.  For us that meant walking upstairs.  Mom does not recognize the basement as part of our home.  Once upstairs she said "Oh we are at your house now but I think it is time for me to go home"  so I walked her up the stairs to her bedroom and she got into her nightie and that was the end of that.

Goodnight my friends.  Sleep well.  Or if you aren't sleepy wander on over to White Lights on Wednesday for
New WWLP Buttonor over to GospelHomemaking.com where we all get together to share our ideas about how to Thrive at Home.








2 comments:

  1. I'm trying this recipe on Sunday! Sounds delish. I would have thought the same thing about the dredge...thanks

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.