Thursday, January 28, 2021

Karen's Breakfast Nachos

These breakfast nachos are a fun way to start the day. They are perfect for brunch and brinner as well.  Tortilla chips smothered in breakfast sausage, cheese and potatoes and then topped with a perfectly fried egg.  Sooooooo good.

Breakfast Nachos

This is the recipe I chose for Festive Foodies Recipe/Blog Swap.....

Liz of Books n' Cooks invited the members of Festive Foodies to join her in sharing some food blogger love with a Recipe/Blog Swap.  Those interested were assigned to another interested blogger and asked to find a recipe on their blog.  We were to make the recipe and give an honest review/rating on the original post.  We are also required to share it on our FaceBook page.

I was assigned Karen of Karen's Kitchen Stories.  I was very happy to be given Karen's blog.  Not only is she an amazing and creative cook but she has also become a dear friend in the blogging community to which I belong.  In fact, I had a wonderful opportunity to meet her in person a couple of years ago.  It was one of the highlights of my trip when we were in California for a family wedding.  

Breakfast Nachos

The only problem with being assigned Karen is that I had a hard time narrowing down only one recipe out of the hundreds she has to offer.  If you are familiar with Karen, you might think that I would have gone with a Bread Recipe.  Karen is the Bread Queen and you could spend a year making a different bread each day without ever leaving her blog.

Karen and I first met when we belonged to the Secret Recipe Club.  That blogging group was very similar to this event we are celebrating today.  Way back in March of 2016, I made not one, but two, recipes from Karen's blog.  These amazing Potatoes au Gratin and Asparagus with Lemon and Mint graced my Easter Table that year.

Breakfast Nachos

I loved Karen's Breakfast Nachos recipe so much that I wanted to feature it on my blog as well as share it on different social media platforms.  We enjoyed these for a casual, leisurely brunch last Sunday.  I did adapt Karen's recipe slightly.  There are only 3 of us so the amounts of ingredients were changed.  I didn't have tostada shells so I only made one layer of nachos.  I used bulk sausage instead of links and a shredded Mexican Blend Cheese instead of Cheddar and Pepper Jack.   Finally, I garnished with some red salsa.

Breakfast Nachos pin

You know a recipe is a winner because it is easily adapted to your preferences and the ingredients you have on hand.  Karen's recipes are amazing for this.  Thanks Karen for another great recipe.




Breakfast, Brunch, Eggs, Sausage, Potatoes, One Skillet Meals, Nachos
Breakfast, Pork, Eggs,
Mexican Fusion
Yield: 3 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Karen's Breakfast Nachos

Karen's Breakfast Nachos

These breakfast nachos are a fun way to start the day. They are perfect for brunch and brinner as well. Tortilla chips smothered in breakfast sausage, cheese and potatoes and then topped with a perfectly fried egg. Sooooooo good.
Prep time: 10 MinCook time: 20 MinTotal time: 30 Min

Ingredients

  • 6 oz. bulk breakfast sausage
  • 8 oz.  frozen, southern style hash browns
  • 6 oz. (about 3 handfuls) Tortilla Chips
  • 1/2 c. shredded Mexican Style Cheese
  • 3 eggs
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • Salsa, if desired

Instructions

  1. In a large skillet over med high heat, cook the sausage until brown and crumbly.  Using a slotted spoon, remove to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
  2. In the same pan, add the potatoes in a single layer, season with salt and pepper,  cover and cook according to package directions.
  3. Line a baking tray with aluminum foil.  Place the corn chips onto the baking tray, overlapping slightly.   Sprinkle with the sausage, potatoes and cheese.  Place into a preheated 450* oven for 5-7 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
  4. While nachos are baking, melt the butter in the same skillet over medium heat.  Carefully break the eggs into the skillet and season with salt and pepper.  Cover and cook until whites are set and yolks are runny. 
  5. Divide the nachos between three plates, top each with an egg, pass the salsa for people to use as desired.

Notes:

Adapted from a recipe found at Karen's Kitchen Stories

Calories

897.72

Fat (grams)

58.44

Sat. Fat (grams)

17.79

Carbs (grams)

63.55

Fiber (grams)

5.35

Net carbs

58.20

Sugar (grams)

2.35

Protein (grams)

32.30

Sodium (milligrams)

1596.87

Cholesterol (grams)

275.19

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for all of the sweet words! Your nachos look great! I'm so happy you all liked them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I hit the jackpot when I saw that I was lucky enough to have drawn you as my blogger.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.