Saturday, January 30, 2021

The Simply Irresistible Round Up

food n flix logo

I am so happy to have hosted the first month of the year for our Food n Flix group.  I chose the film Simply Irresistible starring Sarah Michele Gellar and Sean Patrick Flannery.  I had not seen this film prior to choosing it but had heard that it was a great Foodie Film.  I had heard correctly.

simply irresistible

This is a fun little film and I'm glad the others seemed to enjoy it as much as I. The recipes started coming in early.

First to join me in the the fun was Cam of Culinary Adventures with Camilla.  Cam made some amazing  Banana Cream Eclairs and Cream Puffs inspired by Amanda's Caramel Eclairs.

eclairs


"This movie harkens back to the classic rom-coms of the 1950. There are no real sex scenes, just a lot of floating on air, magical fog, and swooning...from her Caramel Éclairs. Which leads me to the point of this post..."

Elizabeth of Literature and Limes joined in next with her version of Spicy Crab Napoleon.  

Spicy Crab Napoleon


Elizabeth writes:

Though I suspect this dish may be made by others, I chose the Crab Napoleon. When our main character, Amanda, who owns a restaurant, is at the market buying ingredients she has an encounter with a crab and with a man. As the crab is about to crawl up this man’s leg, Amanda grabs it and says humorously, “something is about to crawl up your pants.”

I suspect Elizaeth is right. It was the dish I chose to make as well.  I'm anxious to see all the different recipes that we share for this delicious dish.

Debra of Eliot's Eats came in mid month with an absolutely lovely Fennel Salad that she served up to her husband for his birthday along with Coq au Vin.

Fennel Salad

Debra told us......

"I really was going to whip up some choux pastry along with a caramel pastry creme. As Valentine’s Day is nearing, instead I focused on the romance of the film. Coq au Vin is a dish that The Hubs made for me when we were first dating (getting the recipe and lots of directions from his mother). I have made it a couple of times since then on special occasions. His birthday is this month so I decided to revisit this romantic dish and serve it with a fennel salad inspired by Amanda’s menu board."

What a lovely birthday dinner.  I am loving Debra's take on the fennel salad with the blue cheese and walnuts. OH MY YUM........

My friend Amy of Amy's Cooking Adventures is next up.  Amy also was inspired by the scene with the eclairs and she has brought us some amazing Chocolate Eclairs. 

eclairs

Amy felt like the film left her with a lot of unanswered questions.  However, food inspiration was not a problem.........

"But let’s talk foodie inspiration! Since the movie centers around a chef, there is no shortage of inspiration. One of the most memorable dishes, however, are Caramel Eclairs, which cause those who smell or eat them to become very...ummmm...passionate."

Radha of Magical Ingredients  joined in this month with a wonderful Dill Cream Cheese Spread.

Dill Cream Cheese Spread

I love the inspiration behind this dish......

"Since Tom keeps repeating the herb "dill", I decided to use that and make a spread for the baguette. Nolan enters the restaurant with 3 baguettes. He also seems to be carrying what looks like carrot tops. Since only the tops were seen as the vegetable was in the bag, I served carrot fries on top."

Radha said the carrot fries are optional but I love the pop of color and I'm sure they were delicious atop this yummy sounding spread.

Here at A Day in the Life on the Farm, I couldn't not make Crab Napoleon as that is where all the magic began.
Crab Napoleon

You can read my review of the movie and find my recipe for Crab Napoleon here.  I paired it with a glass of Spanish wine, it was lovely......

Spirited Away

Please join with us next month as we watch and get food inspiration from the animated film Spirited Away hosted by Camilla of Culinary Adventures with Cam.  You can learn more at her Invitation Post.


8 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting, Wendy. I can't wait to make the rounds and see what everyone made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun....I'm looking forward to next month's round up....Love Asian food.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful grouping of dishes! I'm going to watch Spirited Away tomorrow. It's on HBO Max!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it from the library. Having my recipe for dinner tomorrow. Enjoy Elizabeth.

      Delete
  3. This was a cute film and I did like portions of it. Love the crab Napoleon here (even though I found the film crab quite creepy)!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was pretty creepy LOL....I loved that you went outside of the box with your inspiration Debra.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.