Friday, January 8, 2021

Crab Napoleon inspired by Simply Irresistible #FoodnFlix

Tender, sweet crab meat over a mixture of avocado, tomatoes and cucumbers.  Served with crackers or bagel chips this is a wonderful starter or snack.

Crab Napoleon

I was inspired to make this dish after watching the fun flick.....Simply Irriesistible.

Food n Flix Logo

I am hosting Food n Flix this month and I asked the others to join me in watching this fun little rom com from 1999.  I had never watched it before and it sounded like fun.  When I asked Heather if I could host and feature this film she advised that they had watched it years ago and she thought it would be fun to revisit it.

It is still early in the month and I would love if you would join me and let me know what you think of 
this film.  You can learn how to join in my invitation post. 

Simply Irrisistible

This film stars Sarah Michele Gellar and Sean Patrick Flanery both of whom are in the restaurant business.  Amanda (Gellar) has inherited her mother's restaurant and is doing her best to keep it afloat however she is not confident in her cooking abilities and it shows.  She meets Tom (Flanery) at a farmer's market after having bought a basket of crabs from a strange man who just happened to always be at her side.

Tom is ambitious and is opening a high end restaurant inside the store that he owns.  One of Amanda's crabs escape and makes it's way to Tom causing this chance meeting.  The crab, it turns out, is magical as is the feelings felt by Amanda and Tom during this chance encounter.  

Tom ends up going to Amanda's restaurant with his fiancee and Amanda serves them an amazing crab napoleon that she whipped up as if magic.  Starting to get the theme yet?  No....well how about when I say that Tom's fiancee, after eating this crab napoleon, magically begins showing her true colors and the engagement is canceled.

This film is silly, nonsensical and fun.  It is a great film to stick in if you just want to magically escape all the troubles of the world.  There is tons and tons of food inspiration but none quite as important as Crab Napoleon.

Crab Napoleon with wine

My Crab Napoleon is not quite as beautiful as Amanda's but I'll bet it is just as delicious.  I served it up with some bagel chips and a bottle of white wine from the Canary Islands.  It was a magical evening.....

Crab Napoleon pin

I greatly adapted my recipe from one found in Food and Wine.  It makes a wonderful starter to a dinner party, a great addition to an appetizer buffet or, in my case, a wonderful light dinner eaten in front of the Television with a nice glass of wine.



appetizers, starters, seafood, crab, snacks
Appetizers, Starters
American
Yield: 4 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Crab Napoleon

Crab Napoleon

Tender, sweet crab meat over a mixture of avocado, tomatoes and cucumbers. Served with crackers or bagel chips this is a wonderful starter or snack.
Prep time: 15 MinTotal time: 15 Min

Ingredients

  • 2 T. lowfat plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 mini red pepper, finely diced
  • 1 1/2 t. dijon mustard
  • zest and juice of 1/2 a lime
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 10 oz. lump crab meat, picked over
  • 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
  • 1/4 english cucumber, small dice
  • 12 grape tomatoes, small dice

Instructions

  1. Combine the yogurt, red pepper, mustar, lime zest, salt and pepper.  Gently fold in the crab meat.  Set aside.
  2. Combine the avocado, tomatoes and cucumber.  Sprinkle with lime juice and gently toss to coat.  
  3. Place a 2" round ring onto a small plate.  Make a layer inside the ring with the avocado mixture.  You want to use a little less than 1/4 of the mixture so you have enough to sprinkle some on top.  Top the avocado mixture with 1/4 of the crab mixture.  Remove the ring and repeat on 3 more plates.  Sprinkle the remaining avocado mixture on top of each napoleon.  Serve with bagel chips or crackers, if desired.

Notes:

Adapted from a recipe found at Food & Wine.

Calories

194.37

Fat (grams)

8.23

Sat. Fat (grams)

1.32

Carbs (grams)

16.69

Fiber (grams)

4.45

Net carbs

12.24

Sugar (grams)

10.00

Protein (grams)

15.14

Sodium (milligrams)

448.63

Cholesterol (grams)

69.44

13 comments:

  1. Exquisite ! I bet it was fabulous ! I figured out how to correct my name, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of this movie and happily subjected Jake to it this weekend. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a crab napoleon as well! I should be posting it perhaps today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Let me know...I've already started writing the round up.

      Delete
  4. It's hard to resist the opening foodie scene! Good choice

    ReplyDelete
  5. A perfect magical crab napoleon from the movie and I bet they are very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does this have anything to do with Napoleon himself or was it just something that someone added his name to? As Napoleon would have liked something simple, keeping in mind that he wouldn’t have spent more than 20 minutes at the table, eating quickly and in silence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea how it got it's name or if it is even referring to napoleon the person or just after Naples. I didn't name it, I just made it.

      Delete
    2. Well in the movie, she starts explaining that she is cooking crabs for lunch, and that she is making crab Napoleon. However she doesn't quite know what to call it and the Napoleon part comes from her looking over at a taxi with a rooftop ad and it says " brandy Napoleon" at which point she looks back and says "crab 'Napoleon"

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.