Thursday, January 14, 2021

Sourdough Buttermilk Biscuits for #BigLiesinaSmallTownParty #ImprovCookingChallenge

 We are having a party today with The Book Club Cookbook crew and author Diane Chamberlain.  Publisher St. Martin's Press provided me with a pre release copy of Big Lies in a Small Town.  I'm excited to share my review with you.  As always, all opinions are strictly my own.

Big Lies in a Small Town Graphic

You can learn more about this party and the guests invited in this post by Judy of The Book Club Cookbook.

I do have one complaint about this book.  I started reading it on the Monday before Christmas when I should have been very busy preparing for the Holiday.......I couldn't put the book down.  I stayed up all hours of the night reading away.  Luckily by Wednesday I had finished it and could get on with my life.

This is an intriguing mystery of sorts.  It tells the story of two women, Anna who in the 1940's wins the chance to paint a large mural depicting the small southern town of Edenton, and Morgan who in 2018 gets a reprieve from her prison sentence in the will of a famous author who has decided that Morgan should be the one to restore the mural originally created by Anna.

Morgan has absolutely no idea why the author has chosen her for his generosity and she has no prior knowledge of restoration of artwork.  She definitely wants the get out of jail free card though so jumps on this opportunity which she has been given.

As Morgan works on the mural, she finds that she is not only restoring this painting but also her life.  Morgan comes to feel a bond between herself and the artist and wants to learn everything she can about Anna who suddenly disappeared along with this mural nearly 80 years earlier.  What happened to Anna?  How did the artist, Jesse, happen to have possession of the mural?  Why did Jesse, out of all the people in the world, choose Morgan, a mediocre art student, to be the benefactor of his generosity?

As in every good story there is a sideline of love and romance.  You come to know and love all of the protagonists in this story.  There is not a ton of food but, as in every book, there are meals shared and food mentioned.  One food mentioned more often than others is biscuits.  Not surprising since this novel takes place in the south.

I decided to pull out my sourdough starter and makes some biscuits to bring to this party today.  We are celebrating the release of this book in paperback to the public.  It is available for order through Amazon and will also be available in your local book stores.  Order yourself up a copy and enjoy...just be prepared to not get much done for a couple of days after it arrives.

I am also sharing this post over at Foodies Read.  Stop by and see what all the foodies are reading this month.

As fate would have it, today is also the day we share our Improv Cooking Challenge.  Today's ingredients?  Buttermilk and Flour.  How is that for perfect timing?

Improv Cooking Challenge Logo

This fun, monthly challenge is hosted by Nichole of Cookaholic Wife.  Each month we are given two ingredients and sent on our way to create a recipe containing both.

Let's take a look at what Buttermilk and Flour creations the others are sharing today.........

Improv Cooking Challenge: January 2021

Buttermilk and Flour

Big Lies in a Small Town Party Participants


Sourdough Buttermilk Biscuits

These biscuits turned out nice and flaky.  They only need to rest for 30 minutes before baking so they can be started before you start your meal and finished up in the oven during the last 15 minutes before you put dinner on the table.


breads, biscuits, sourdough, buttermilk
Breads
American
Yield: 9 Biscuits
Author: Wendy Klik
Sourdough Buttermilk Biscuits

Sourdough Buttermilk Biscuits

Light, flaky and golden brown...these biscuits that begin with your sourdough starter are sure to become a family favorite.
Prep time: 10 MinCook time: 15 Mininactive time: 30 MinTotal time: 55 Min

Ingredients

  • 1 c. flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/4 t. baking soda
  • 1/2 t. baking powder
  • 1/4 c. cold butter, divided into Tablespoon portions
  • 1/2 c. sourdough starter
  • 1/4 c. buttermilk

Instructions

  1. Combine the sourdough starter and buttermilk in a bowl.  Set aside until room temperature.  I did this in the morning and left it on the counter all day.
  2. Place the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and butter in the bowl of a food processor.   Pulse until cornmeal consistency with different size chunks of butter.
  3. Add the flour mixture to the sourdough mixture and combine until a soft dough form and all dry ingredients are incorporated.
  4. Turn onto a floured surface and knead and pat gently.  Roll out into a 1/2" thickness and cut into 9 portions using a biscuit cutter.
  5. Place onto a baking sheet that has been covered with parchment, brush with additional melted butter, if desired.  Let rest for 30 minutes.
  6. Bake in a preheated 425* oven for 10-15 minutes until risen and golden brown.

Notes:

adapted from a recipe found at Food.com

Calories

122.62

Fat (grams)

5.43

Sat. Fat (grams)

3.32

Carbs (grams)

16.05

Fiber (grams)

0.83

Net carbs

15.22

Sugar (grams)

0.39

Protein (grams)

2.51

Sodium (milligrams)

130.90

Cholesterol (grams)

13.84
Calories for sauce without pasta.

14 comments:

  1. Why have I never thought to use Dough-ba Fett (my sourdough starter) in a biscuit!??? Happening this weekend! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always looking for sourdough recipes. (BTW, my sourdough is named Clint Yeastwood.) These are perfect and Southern for the novel! I did appreciate that Chamberlain didn't let the romance get in the way of the story. Glad to be partying with you today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you used a sourdough starter in your pairing for Big Lies in a Small Town! I have one that I've been keeping alive for 2 months and I'm always looking for new ways to use it. I also thought this book was very riveting, and happy to be part of the party with you today! - Megan @ The Hungry Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an interesting biscuit with sourdough starter. Looks fantastic and delicious, and it is very easy to make. I must try these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a good buttermilk biscuit - they are so tender. And perfect with pretty much any meal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great and wonderful recipe, love that use your sourdough starter to make biscuits, they look so good and have a perfect rise too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you made biscuits--perfect for the book! I had a hard time putting down the book too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm on the library Kindle wait list for this book. Sounds like a good one. And, excited to try these sourdough biscuits, one thing I haven't yet made with my starter.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.