Friday, January 1, 2021

A Lovely Bottle of Taurasi paired with a Delicious Meal of Beef Tips Marsala #ItalianFWT

Tender beef tips seared golden brown, smothered in a mushroom marsala sauce served over fluffy egg noodles and paired with a wonderful bottle of Salvatore Molettieri Taurasi Vigna Cinque Querce 2008 from Campania, Italy.

Beef Tips Marsala with wine

The Italian Food Wine and Travel group are sharing their favorite Italian Reds and Whites to kick off the New Year.
Jennifer of Vino Travels has invited us all to join her in sharing our favorite Italian Wines.  We are gathering this morning at 11 AM ET for Twitter chat to discuss these wines and why they are our favorites.  Please join us following #ItalianFWT.  

These are the topics we will be discussing........
I opened this bottle of red for one of our first small Christmas dinners that I celebrated with my sister and bil.  Due to the pandemic this year we had many small gatherings as opposed to several large gatherings.

ingredients for Beef Tips Marsala

I purchased a whole beef tenderloin.  I trimmed the tips and cut it up for this dish.  Then I cut 4 nice filets to serve up on another occasion and left the rest as a roast to roast for Christmas Day.

Bottle of Wine

I had ordered up a bottle of this Taurasi wine when we were learning about Wines Grown in Volcanic Soil.  It was so darned good that when Jennifer announced the theme for this month I went back to wine.com and ordered a second bottle.

Beef Tips Marsala

When I was planning this meal for my sister I knew that I wanted to open this bottle to pair with it.  My sister and her husband traveled to Italy a couple of years ago and she learned to love wine.  Prior to that trip she stuck with American White Zinfandel.  During that trip she learned to love all wines but especially Italian wines.  I wanted to give her a special treat and knew that this wine would cut through the richness of this dish.

I mentioned in my first article about this wine that it was a little above my price point for a weekday wine for Frank and I to share, however, at less than $50 it is the perfect price point for a special celebration with those that you love.


Entrees, Beef, Sauces, Wine, Mushrooms
Entrees, Beef
American
Yield: 4 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Beef Tips Marsala

Beef Tips Marsala

Tender beef tips seared golden brown, smothered in a mushroom marsala sauce served over fluffy egg noodles.
Prep time: 10 MinCook time: 20 MinTotal time: 30 Min

Ingredients

  • 2 T. olive oil
  • 1 lb. beef tenderloin tips, cut into bite size pieces
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 shallot, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 c. dry Marsala wine
  • 1 c. heavy cream
  • 2 oz. cream cheese, cubed at room temperature
  • 2 T. stone ground mustard
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • leaves from 2 sprigs of thyme

Instructions

  1. Heat the olive oil over high heat in a large skillet until shimmering.  Season the beef liberally with salt and pepper.  Add to the skillet and sear until browned on all sides.  Remove to a plate and set aside.
  2. Add the mushrooms to the skillet, cover and cook over high heat until liquid is released.  Remove the lid and cook until browned and liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes.  Add the shallot and garlic and cook for a minute until fragrant.  
  3. Add the wine, cook stirring and scraping up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan until reduced by half.  Reduce heat to medium and stir in the cream and cream cheese.  When melted stir in the mustard.  Cook for a minute or two until thickened.  Stir in the lemon juice, thyme and any juices released onto the plate holding the beef.  
  4. Stir in the beef for about half a minute to rewarm.  Turn into a serving bowl and serve with 8 oz. of egg noodles that have been cooked per package directions.

Notes:

Adapted from a recipe found in Cuisine at Home, Issue #96

Calories

789.41

Fat (grams)

62.82

Sat. Fat (grams)

28.72

Carbs (grams)

22.84

Fiber (grams)

3.88

Net carbs

18.96

Sugar (grams)

13.89

Protein (grams)

33.76

Sodium (milligrams)

1233.78

Cholesterol (grams)

178.14

8 comments:

  1. I wish I were closer! I would definitely invite myself over to your house for dinners like these. LOL. Cheers to you and yours, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband would love this meal. I actually was going to go with an aglianico too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that one of the previous #ItalianFWT turned you on to a wine that you love so much! I don't know that I have had a wine from Taurasi, but I do love Aglianico, so I'm betting that I would love this. I also love that your sister's trip to Italy has her exploring and enjoying Italian wines!
    On top of all that, your dish has me hungry for dinner. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, this wine is really very nice and my sister loved it as much as I.

      Delete
  4. Looks like you found favorite wine and your sister, a favorite country where she'll reach for their wines. I bet you'll remember this Taurasi forever. BTW, the dish... dreaming about those flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet of you to consider your sister's tastes and growing interest in wine. Meal sounds luscious!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.