Monday, January 4, 2021

Cuban Batido #CooktheBooks

Sweet and frothy this fruity Cuban drink reminds me of the Orange Julius' that used to be in stands in the center of every mall in America.   Not quite as thick as a smoothie but just  as delicious.

Cuban Batido

I was inspired to make this drink after reading about it in our Cook the Books Selection.....

Deb of Kahakai Kitchen is hosting this bimonthly group and chose the book Eat Joy: Stories and Comfort Food from 31 Celebrated Writers.  Deb said she chose this book because it is a selection of short stories which is perfect for December/January holiday season when you may not be able to curl up with a book for hours at a time.  I agree. Thanks for choosing this Deb.

Eat Joy

Thirty one different authors, all with their own writing style share a memory with us and talk about the food or foods involved with that memory.  I, personally, love food memories.  There is something about preparing and sharing food with loved ones that make you feel secure and loved when thinking back on them.  

Cuban Batido

After each memory the author shares a recipe with us.  I did not choose one of those.  Instead I chose a memory that Chantel Acevedo talked about when reminiscing about making Merenguitos with her Abuela.  

Cuban Batido pin

Remembering her Abuelo, before he suffered dementia, Acevedo wrote:

"He would pick up fallen mangoes for the ground, fertilize the tamarindo tree, or straighten the tall papayas, which always reminded me of Dr. Seuss's truffula treees, so lanky and fluffy at the top.  Our backyard was a fruit-lover's heaven, the bounty of which often made it back into the kitchen for creamy batidos made in the blender,"

This passage spoke to me on so many levels.  I, too, was raised in a home that had a backyard that was a fruit-lover's heaven.  Being from Michigan, our fruit was apples, pears, plums and peaches.  I also had fond memories of a loved one, my mom, who would create wonderful treats for me from these fruits when I was young and for whom I made those treats when she got older and suffered from dementia.

When Acevedo wrote:

"When I was little, I used to sit on his lap, and he would scratch my back with hard, calloused fingers."

It brought back childhood memories of sitting on my Pop's lap at night as he cupped my face and petted my hair with his rough hands.  It also brought to mind, my husband with our granddaughter and made me smile knowing that she would have sweet memories of their time together.

That first passage had me immediately leaving the page and doing a google search for Batido's.  I found several recipes using different fruits and methods.  Some used evaporated milk, some used ice cream but the one I decided to go with was found on Food.com and listed as a Cuban Batido.  Perfect as that was where Acevedo's family had emigrated.  It also was attractive to me as I had all the ingredients on hand.  I got up and made it immediately.  Poured a glass for myself and Frank that we enjoyed as we each returned to our reading.

Cook the Books logo

I did find several other recipes that I have earmarked to try in this book.  And some, like boxed brownie mix with water stirred in that you eat with a spoon, that I won't try.  I enjoyed these short memories that these authors shared with us.

If you would like to join us for this selection of Cook the Books you still have a full month to get the book which is a very easy and touching read, create a recipe and share it with us.  You can learn more at Deb's invitation page.

I am also sharing this post over at Foodies Read.  Stop by and see what the other foodies are reading this month.  

drinks, fruit, breakfast, dessert, snack
Drinks
Cuban
Yield: 2 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Cuban Batido

Cuban Batido

Sweet and frothy this fruity Cuban drink reminds me of the Orange Julius' that used to be in stands in the center of every mall in America. Not quite as thick as a smoothie but just as delicious.
Prep time: 5 MinTotal time: 5 Min

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 c. fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cubed
  • 1 c. ice
  • 3/4 c. milk
  • 1/2 c. orange juice
  • 3 T. sugar
  • juice of 1 lime

Instructions

  1. Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth and frothy.  Divide between 2 tall glasses and serve.

Notes:

Made from a recipe found at Food.com

Calories

213.26

Fat (grams)

2.05

Sat. Fat (grams)

1.13

Carbs (grams)

47.34

Fiber (grams)

1.92

Net carbs

45.42

Sugar (grams)

36.44

Protein (grams)

4.37

Sodium (milligrams)

51.31

Cholesterol (grams)

7.35

16 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness this sounds delicious. I might even have a pineapple on my counter, though it may have started fermenting because I forgot about it. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of fermenting my next one with a shot of rum LOL>

      Delete
  2. I've got to dive into this book. I read a couple of sections by authors I have read. This looks like a great breakfast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! This looks so refreshing and amazing! Glad you enjoyed the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we are all free to roam about Southwestern Michigan again, you should come to Ann Arbor and try the batido at Frito Batidos Cuban Street Food Restaurant on Washington Street! Flavors are amazing -- passionfruit, hibiscus, lime, chocolate...

    be well and have a great year in 2021... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may just plan on doing that Mae. Perhaps we could meet in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely inspired creation, and your memories to go along with it. Reminds me of my own childhood, and our little orchard of fruit trees, Southern Calif. style: peaches, nectarines, plums, apricots, oranges, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not too keen on smoothies but this one looks and sounds great. Maybe worth revisiting my prejudices

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it. It is much lighter than your typical smoothie.

      Delete
  8. I like your Holiday glasses! The drink makes me think of warm sandy beaches, which right not sound particularly inviting. Great choice of recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally agree with you that food makes memories. I love the way you associated your memories with those of Acevedo. I too remember my grandparents getting fresh produce and making yummy food for all of us. Memories are great. This recipe is great and delicious. Simple too, I have all of the ingredients and going to try and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad Radha...it is very good and so are our food memories.

      Delete
  10. That was one of the better essays from the book (though sad). I love your personal connection & the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.