Sunday, January 17, 2021

Pumpkin Waffles #SundayFunday

Low in fat and chock full of  fiber from whole grains and antioxidants from the pumpkin these delicious pancakes taste like you are having pumpkin pie for breakfast.  Your family will never guess how nutritious they are.

Pumpkin Waffles

Join the Sunday Funday Blogging group as we share Waffle Recipes...............

Sunday Funday Logo
Sneha of Sneha's Recipe is hosting our Sunday Funday group today and asked us all to share a sweet or savory waffle recipe with you.  Lets take a look at what everyone cooked up........

batter

These waffles smell heavenly, like pumpkin pie in the oven.  We have had a rough year so far here on the Farm.  My husband has had a lot of medical issues suffering from extremely high blood pressure that has resulted in a minor stroke and a much more serious and critical bleed to the brain.  

As I write this post, he is in the ICU as they try to determine the source of the bleed and how to control his out of control blood pressure.  It has been extremely scary and trying, especially since I cannot be there with him through this.  

This is his 3rd trip to the hospital since the Monday following Christmas.  He came home for one day after the first trip and then went right back in on New Years Eve Day.  This last time he was home for a week before having to go back.

During the times he has been home, I have been trying to help by sticking with the DASH diet provided by the Mayo Clinic to help lower hypertension.  This recipe is one of theirs.  It's an easy eating plan to follow incorporating lots of flavor without resorting to using salt.

Pumpkin Waffles pin

These waffles are a great example of the types of nutritious, delicious food you can feed your family and loved ones to keep them strong and healthy without making them feel deprived or even aware that you are preparing food differently than before.






Breakfast, Breads, Waffles, Pumpkin,
Breakfast, Breads
American
Yield: 3 servings (6 waffles)
Author: Wendy Klik
Pumpkin Waffles

Pumpkin Waffles

Low in fat and chock full of fiber from whole grains and antioxidants from the pumpkin these delicious pancakes taste like you are having pumpkin pie for breakfast. Your family will never guess how nutritious they are.
Prep time: 5 MinCook time: 25 MinTotal time: 30 Min

Ingredients

  • 1 c. pumpkin puree
  • 1 c. white whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 c. all purpose flour (I use unbleached)
  • 1/3 c. brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 c. milk (I used 2%)
  • 1 egg white (I used the whole egg)
  • 1 T. canola oil
  • 1 T. baking powder
  • 1 T. vanilla
  • 2 t. cinnamon
  • 1/4 t. nutmeg
  • 1/4 t. ground ginger

Instructions

  1. Place all ingredients in large bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment.  Mix on low until incorporated and then beat until smooth.
  2. Ladle about 1/3 c. of batter into the center of a waffle iron treated with olive oil spray and bake until golden brown about 4 minutes per waffle.

Notes:

Adapted from a DASH diet recipe.

Calories

432.33

Fat (grams)

7.40

Sat. Fat (grams)

1.50

Carbs (grams)

79.93

Fiber (grams)

8.20

Net carbs

71.73

Sugar (grams)

28.79

Protein (grams)

13.77

Sodium (milligrams)

570.92

Cholesterol (grams)

6.10

17 comments:

  1. Pumpkin waffles looks so delicious, more like a chocolate waffles.. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Wendy. Much love and hugs to you and Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love anything with pumpkin. These look so delicious and I love the color. I bet they smelled great when cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That batter really LOOKS like pumpkin pie filling - I could smell it through the screen. YUMM!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no Wendy - I just read through the rest of the post. I had no idea he was back in the hospital. My heart is with you and your family right now. I am SO so sorry you are all going through this. Sending much love, and lots of prayers and thoughts for healing!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Rebekah. He is out of ICU now but they still cannot find the cause for the high blood pressure. More tests conducted constantly.

      Delete
  5. I have an extra can of pumpkin that I thought I might make a pie with but your waffles are tempting me now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and Frank are both in my prayers, Wendy. COVID makes everything harder than it should be and I know this must be hard enough. Your waffles are delicious and healthy, best of both worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope Frank is doing better. I am sure you are beside yourself with worry. These waffles look fabulous, I am always ready to add a little more pumpkin to the menu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is doing better Carlee, thanks. His BP is now being controlled with meds. Just waiting for test results so we can see what is causing the high BP. Hope to have him home soon. No serious or permanent damage from the strokes or bleeds.

      Delete
  8. I am praying for Frank, take good care of yourself. Do they think this is related to the accident ? You are amazing, posting and parenting, taking care of the house and the pets. You are in my prayers as is Frank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, prayers definitely work. They do think that all of this does relate back to the crash in August. His body suffered a lot of trauma and they call this the domino effect. I'm thanking God for the kids, house, pets and this blog.....It helps keep me occupied since they won't let me at the hospital.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.