These Italian Nachos are dangerous for me to have on the table. I couldn't stop eating them. Crispy baguette toasts, smothered in melted cheese and topped with gorgeous fresh tomatoes and slightly spicy pepperoncini.
These were great as a side to the chili but they would be just as wonderful all on their own or as part of appetizer buffet.
Once your bread is toasted you drizzle it with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle it with some fresh ground sea salt. Generously cover with cheese and then pop it back in the oven for a few minutes.
When the cheese is all ooey and gooey pull them out of the oven and sprinkle with freshly diced tomatoes and pickled peperoncini slices.
This recipe was adapted from one found in Cuisine at Home from February of 2008. You will find more Fresh Tomato Recipes following mine.
adapted from Cuisine at Home
1 baguette, sliced into 1/2" rounds
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 cups Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
2 lg. tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/2 c. peperoncini, sliced
Place baguette slices onto a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 400* oven for 8-10 minutes. Flip the bread over and return to the oven for another 7or 8 minutes, until both sides are crisp.
Drizzle the toast with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and place under the broiler until nicely browned, 2 minutes or so. Sprinkle the cheese all over the toast rounds and return to under the broiler for 3-4 minutes, until melted and bubbly.
Remove from oven, transfer to a serving platter, sprinkle with the tomatoes and peppers and serve immediately. Print Recipe
Sunday Supper Recipes Using Fresh Tomatoes
- Caprese Chicken with Bacon by Family Around The Table
- Cheesy Caprese Pesto Chicken and Quinoa Casserole by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Balsamic Chicken with Tomatoes by Life Tastes Good
- Grilled Chicken and Pasta with Grated Tomato Sauce by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bronzed Tomato Spinach Cheddar Panini by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Ground Beef Curry by Wholistic Woman
- Lamb and Fresh Tomato Curry by Sunday Supper Movement
- One Pan Pork Chop Dinner with Tomatoes by Simple and Savory
- Tuna and Tomato Bento by Ninja Baker
Pizza, Pies, and Pastas
- Angel Hair Pomodoro by Healing Tomato
- Heirloom Tomato Tart by Authentically Candace
- Pressure Canned Homegrown Tomato Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Savory Tomato Pie with Pre-Made Crust by The Foodie Affair
- Three Cheese Tomato Basil Pie by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Tomato and Caramelized Onions Galette by Brunch-n-Bites
- Tuscan Pasta with White Beans and Tomatoes by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Bacon Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms by Crazed Mom
- Bloody Mary Mix by Our Good Life
- Bruschetta di Pomodoro by The Freshman Cook
- Caprese Garlic Bread with Arugula Pesto by The Crumby Cupcake
- Slow Roasted Tomatoes by Caroline’s Cooking
- Tomato Cauliflower Rice by Family Foodie
- Tomato Tulips for a Veggie Platter by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cheesy Thumbprint Cookies with Green Tomato Strawberry Jalapeno Jam by Soulfully Made
- How to Make Homemade Salsa by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- IPA (India Pale Ale) Green Tomato Pickles by Gourmet Everyday
- Italian Nachos by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Marinated Cherry Tomatoes with Cottage Cheese by Cricket’s Confections
- Tomatoes Stuffed with Apple-Walnut Salad Filling by Asian In America
- Tropical Fruit Salsa by Pies and Plots
Soups and Salads
- 10 Minute Greek Inspired Couscous Salad by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Burrata Caprese Salad with Balsamic Pearls by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cherry Tomato and Preserved Lemon Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Cupboard Tomato Mozzarella Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Fresh Tomato and Couscous Salad by Basic N Delicious
- Fried Green Tomato BLT Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Rustic Dill Tomato Soup by Hot Eats and Cool Reads
- Summer Tomato and Bread Soup by Monica’s Table
- Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Pimento Grilled Cheese by Bottom Left of the Mitten