Today is the first day of May but all through April we were celebrating National Grilled Cheese Month so for my first recipe of this event I made a Mexican Grilled Cheese. I served these up for Meatless Monday, topped with salsa and a side of refried beans. Of course, we topped it all off with a Mango/Peach Margarita......I will be sharing that recipe tomorrow!
This recipe is quick and easy even making your own dough. You simply mix Masa Harina with a pinch of salt and some water. You want it to become the consistency of Play Doh
Divide the dough into eight pieces and roll into balls about 2" in diameter. I felt like I was playing Play Doh as I made a well in each roll, stuffed it with cheese and wrapped the dough back around the cheese.
Then I used a rolling pin to flatten it into a round about 1/4" thick. You could just pat it down with your hands too if you wanted.
I cooked them, one at a time in a lightly oiled cast iron skillet. It only took a minute or two for them to be cooked and slightly toasted brown.
I served them with salsa and a side of beans. Traditionally they are serve with salsa and a cabbage salad. I think they would be good topped with guacamole too.
Join us all week long as we share our recipes. You can find us on all social media by searching #MexicanRecipes. Don't forget to stop by and see what the others are sharing following my recipe. Buenos Dias.
Pupusas de Queso
adapted from crsricebowl
2 c. masa harina
pinch of salt
1 1/2 c. water
1 c. queso fresco, shredded
1 T. olive oil
Combine the masa harina, salt and water in a bowl and knead until it is the consistency of PlayDoh, adding more water if necessary.
Form the dough into 8 balls about 2" in diameter. Shape the balls into small bowls and fill with a little cheese. Seal the dough back around the cheese and roll it into a disc 1/4" thick. Repeat until all dough and cheese is used.
Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Brush the pan lightly with olive oil and cook the pupusas for a minute or two on each side until dried and lightly browned in spots. Print Recipe
More Fiesta Fare
- Papusas de Queso from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Mexican Restaurant Rice from Palatable Pastime
- Posole de Camarones (Shrimp and Hominy Stew) from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Enchiladas to Feed a Crowd from Tip Garden
- Mexican Street Corn Barley Salad from Cooking With Carlee
- Conchas (Mexican Sweet Bread) from Amy's Cooking Adventures
- Avocado Paletas (Mexican Avocado Ice Pops) from Caroline's Cooking
- Churro French Toast from Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Beef Tacos from Books n' Cooks
- Easy Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms from Feeding Big
- One Pan Chicken Enchilada Rice Bake from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Mexican Strawberry Cheesecake Chimichangas from All that's Jas