Thursday, May 4, 2017

Almond Orange Cookies #MexicanRecipes #FilltheCookieJar

I am combining two events again today.  It is day 4 of our Cinco de Mayo party where we are sharing a week's worth of Mexican Recipes in an event hosted by Sue of Palatable Pastime.  It is also the first Thursday of the month.  Our friend, Cynthia of Feeding Big, hosts a party each month inviting us to Fill the Cookie Jar and share a cookie recipe with our readers.

Our theme for this month's Fill the Cookie Jar is Mother's Day.  My mother was not Mexican.  She was Swedish and Czechoslovakian.  I needed to share a Mexican Recipe.  What is a blogger to do??

I decided to not worry so much about the origin of the cookies and concentrate on the ingredients. My Mom loved nuts and her favorite nut was almonds.  If you wanted to put a smile on my mother's face you would buy her a Hershey's Chocolate Bar with Almonds. It also put a smile on our face because she would break off the pieces containing almonds and then distribute the plain chocolate amongst us kids.

So when I was flipping through a cookbook by Jane Milton, titled simply "Mexican", and came across these Almond Orange Cookies, I knew that my Mom would have loved them.  My decision was made.  The perfect recipe for both events.


My Bonita Senorita was my sous chef for these amazing cookies.   I know that Grandma Great was smiling down from Heaven as Melody and I whipped up this batch of light fluffy cookies.


I adapted this recipe by making them drop cookies instead of rolled and cut.  I used crisco instead  of lard and almond flour instead of grinding my own almonds.  They are slightly sweet with most of the sweetness coming from the sprinkle of cinnamon sugar covering them.


You will find many more Mexican Recipes and Cookie Recipes following mine for these light, fluffy cookies that are the perfect ending to your Cinco de Mayo gathering.

Almond Orange Cookies
adapted from Mexican by Jane Milton

1 c. vegetable shortening
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
zest and juice of one orange
1 3/4 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1 3/4 c. almond flour
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 t. cinnamon

In large bowl of stand mixer, fitted with paddle attachment, beat together the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.  Beat in the orange zest and juice.

Sift together the flour, baking powder and almond flour.  Gradually, add the dry ingredients into the batter on low speed.  When incorporated, increase speed and mix until a dough is formed.

Using a small cookie scoop or a rounded tablespoon, drop the cookies onto a parchment lined baking sheet.  Bake in a preheated 400* oven for 8-10 minutes, until the bottom is golden brown.  Remove to a cooling rack, placed over parchment.

Combine the powdered sugar and cinnamon and sift over the warm cookies.  Print Recipe


More Mexican Recipes

Check back each and every day for new recipes by following along with the hashtag #MexicanRecipes on social media. Are you a food blogger interested in posting within our blogging community? Find out more by joining us online: Holiday Fun with Our Blog Friends.

More Cookie Recipes




8 comments:

  1. Such a sweet picture of your sous chef!! Have a wonderful day, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula, it made me smile as I hope it did you.

      Delete
    2. I smile at all of her pictures. She is so cute!!

      Delete
  2. I'm a fan of almond and orange flavors. This is a terrific cookie not only for Cinco de Mayo but delicious anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such wonderful flavors! Your "assistant" is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cookies look great.. love all the flavours they have.. Wish I had a cute sous chef to help me... made I can borrow yours for awhile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only problem is Marlys is that once you spent the day with her you wouldn't want to give her back.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.