Monday, May 1, 2017

Pupusas de Queso #MexicanRecipes

This week our Holiday Fun with Our Blog Friends group is having a Cinco de Mayo Fiesta hosted by Sue of Palatable Pastime,  Sue has invited us all to post our favorite Mexican Recipes all week long so that our readers have a plethora of ideas from which to choose when planning their celebrations.



Today is the first day of May but all through April we were celebrating National Grilled Cheese Month so for my first recipe of this event I made a Mexican Grilled Cheese.  I served these up for Meatless Monday, topped with salsa and a side of refried beans.  Of course, we topped it all off with a Mango/Peach Margarita......I will be sharing that recipe tomorrow!


This recipe is quick and easy even making your own dough.  You simply mix Masa Harina with a pinch of salt and some water.  You want it to become the consistency of Play Doh


Divide the dough into eight pieces and roll into balls about 2" in diameter.  I felt like I was playing Play Doh as I made a well in each roll, stuffed it with cheese and wrapped the dough back around the cheese.


Then I used a rolling pin to flatten it into a round about 1/4" thick.  You could just pat it down with your hands too if you wanted.


I cooked them, one at a time in a lightly oiled cast iron skillet.  It only took a minute or two for them to be cooked and slightly toasted brown.


I served them with salsa and a side of beans.  Traditionally they are serve with salsa and a cabbage salad.  I think they would be good topped with guacamole too.  

Join us all week long as we share our recipes.  You can find us on all social media by searching #MexicanRecipes.  Don't forget to stop by and see what the others are sharing following my recipe. Buenos Dias.

Pupusas de Queso
adapted from crsricebowl

2 c. masa harina
pinch of salt
1 1/2 c. water
1 c. queso fresco, shredded
1 T. olive oil

Combine the masa harina, salt and water in a bowl and knead until it is the consistency of PlayDoh, adding more water if necessary.

Form the dough into 8 balls about 2" in diameter.  Shape the balls into small bowls and fill with a little cheese.  Seal the dough back around the cheese and roll it into a disc 1/4" thick.  Repeat until all dough and cheese is used.

Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat.  Brush the pan lightly with olive oil and cook the pupusas for a minute or two on each side until dried and lightly browned in spots.  Print Recipe

#SoupWeek

More Fiesta Fare

Check back each and every day for new recipes by following along with the hashtag #MexicanRecipes on social media. Are you a food blogger interested in posting within our blogging community? Find out more by joining us online: Holiday Fun with Our Blog Friends.

7 comments:

  1. We LOVE pupusas. Thanks for sharing this, Wendy. I need to make some this week for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We enjoyed them too Camilla. I had never heard of them prior to this.

      Delete
  2. I have to admit that I have never tried a Pupusa. My daughter has and she loves them. Now that I see how easy it is to make them, I will have to give it a try

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was our first try too, Cynthia, and won't be our last.

      Delete
  3. These look and sound delicious. Playing with masa harina is on my short list and this has only served to make me want to try it more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok.. I'm intrigued! You've sold me.. I've got to give it a try now! It's officially on my to do list! THanks for sharing your talents.. yummy!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.