Friday, May 26, 2017

Ginger Marinated Tuna with Sesame Rice Steaks and Orange Cucumber Salad #BBQWeek

 Sometimes I cover several events with one recipe which I always look at as a gift to me.  Today I am posting several recipes for one event, consider it a gift to you.

Today is the final day of BBQ Week.  I hope you have enjoyed perusing all of the great recipes as much as I.  I also hope that you win the great giveaway from our sponsor Michigan Asparagus.

What's that?  You didn't know about the fantastic, generous giveaway?  Well, hurry over to my Welcome post and enter right now, before you miss your opportunity.

Welcome back.  I don't know how you managed to miss that fantastic raffle all week long.  So, as you saw when you read that first post, our friend, Ellen of Family Around the Table, invited several of us to join her in sharing our favorite BBQ recipes.  We posted this past Monday and Wednesday and today we are sharing our final recipes.  There are over 40 great recipes in all.  Heck, in just this one post you are getting three phenomenal recipes!!


I was thumbing through an old issue of Cuisine at Home and came across this entire meal.  It sounded so amazing.  Each component of this meal, perfectly complemented the next.  I knew that I was going to make all three dishes and serve them together and it was so absolutely wonderful that I wanted to share all three of them together in one post.  

These dishes are very slightly adapted to my family's tastes and to what I had stocked in my pantry on the day I made it.  Cuisine at Home included a recipe for a wasabi compound butter that I think would have been perfect but there was no way I was getting Frank to eat wasabi.  I served this entire meal to our friends, John and Kirsten, who loved it as much as we.  It was a great company meal because tuna takes only minutes to cook to perfection.



Ginger Marinated Tuna Steaks
adapted from Cuisine at Home, Issue #51

1/3 c. rice vinegar
3 T. sugar
3 T. dry sherry
2 T. soy sauce
1 T. chili garlic sauce
1 T. dark sesame oil
2 scallions, white and light green parts, chopped
4 garlic cloves, smashed
4 thin slices peeled ginger
4 (6 oz)  tuna steaks

Place vinegar, sugar, sherry, soy sauce, chili sauce, and sesame oil in a gallon size plastic bag that seals shut.  Shake to combine and dissolve sugar.  Add the scallions, garlic and ginger to the marinade.  Place tuna steaks in the bag, seal and refrigerate for 20 minutes.  

Remove tuna steaks from the bag.  Discard the marinade.  Spray the steaks with cooking spray and grill over hot coals for 3 minutes.  Flip the steaks and cook 2 minutes longer.  Print Recipe

Sesame Rice Cakes
adapted from Cuisine at Home, Issue #51

3 c. cooked jasmine rice, cooled to room temp.
1 T. sugar
1 T. rice vinegar
1 t. cornstarch
1 t. kosher salt
2 t. sesame seeds
2 T. peanut oil

Combine the rice, sugar, vinegar, cornstarch and salt.  Press the rice into a 1/4 c. measuring cup that has been treated with cooking spray to form the cakes.  Place them on parchment paper and press 1/4 t. of sesame seeds onto the top of each cake.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over med high heat.  Add the rice cakes and cook for 5 minutes per side, until golden brown.  Can be served immediately or at room temperature.  Print Recipe

Orange Cucumber Salad
adapted from Cuisine at Home, Issue #51

2 T. sugar
2 T. rice vinegar
1 T. sushi ginger, minced
salt to taste
pinch of crushed red pepper 
1 large orange, supremed
1/2 large, English cucumber, thinly sliced
1/2 c. fresh bean sprouts
small handful cilantro  leaves, torn
2 scallions, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
4  mint leaves, minced

Whisk together the sugar, vinegar, ginger, salt and crushed red pepper in a large bowl.  Add the orange sections, cucumber, bean sprouts, cilantro, scallions and mint.  Toss to coat and serve. Print Recipe

Let's see the other's final recipes for #BBQWeek

20 comments:

  1. Homemade rice cakes... yummmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks absolutely amazing, Wendy! I wish I could sneak a plate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy, this looks amazing! I will have to see if I can get some fresh tuna this weekend. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love tuna on the grill and the rest looks great too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE grilled tuna. It's so delicious and hearty. I can't wait to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything sounds great, especially the rice cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's an awesome looking meal! I've never had tuna, I think my guys would like it this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh tuna is so good Jolene. Let me know how you like it.

      Delete
  8. What an amazing meal. Sure to impress guests!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this looks so great. I love grilling, but have denver tried grilling tuna. That is about to change.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds delicious - I do love grilled tuna

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.