Sunday, May 7, 2017

Chicken Salad with Orange and Fennel #SundaySupper

Welcome to Sunday Supper.  This week we are celebrating National Salad Month and sharing Summer Dinner Salad Recipes.  We were invited to share our favorite Main Dish Salads with you today.

I don't know about you, but when the weather breaks my mind and body immediately start yearning for fresh light ingredients and salads become a staple for dinner.  The same thing happens during the Fall but then my yearnings are for stews, roasts and soups.


This recipe gives your 4-6 generous servings using the meat of a whole chicken.  Now, if you are feeling ambitious and you have a lazy Sunday staring you in the face, feel free to roast your own chicken.  I started with a rotisserie chicken from the market.


This yielded me nearly 5 cups of bite size pieces.  This recipe was inspired by one that I found in an old issue (April 2009) of Cuisine at Home.  I adapted it a bit by using avocado mayo and serving it atop a big green salad.



The mixture of avocado mayo, non-fat Greek yogurt, orange zest and orange juice provides a light, tangy, delicious dressing for the chicken salad that spreads throughout the green salad but would also be perfect for stuffing into a croissant, if you so chose.



The crunch of the fennel bulb, the sweetness of the grapes and the flavors of the tarragon and fennel fronds complement the chicken perfectly.   


Coat the chicken salad liberally with the dressing as you are going to want to distribute it among the salad greens.  If you are choosing to serve it without the additional greens, you may want  to dress it a little more lightly.  The sliced almonds add additional flavor and crunch but can be omitted if there are allergy concerns.


Your green salad can contain all of your favorite things.  I looked into the refrigerator and found some Romaine, Spinach, Cucumber and Grape Tomatoes.  That sounded good to me.


Load your plates with a generous serving of Greens topped with a couple of scoops of the Chicken Salad and you have a light, nutritious dinner that is sure to please the entire family.


Chicken Salad with Orange and Fennel
adapted from Cuisine at Home, Issue #74

1/2 c. avocado mayonnaise
1 (5 oz) container of non-fat Greek yogurt
Juice and zest of 1/2 an orange
4-5 cups cooked chicken, diced (I used a store bought rotisserie chicken)
1 c. halved red grapes
1/2 fennel bulb, diced, fronds reserved
2 T. chopped fennel fronds
1 T. chopped fresh tarragon
1/2 c. sliced almonds
1 head romaine lettuce
2 cups baby spinach leaves
1/2 seedless cucumber, diced
1 pt. grape tomatoes, halved

Whisk together the mayo, yogurt, zest and juice in a small bowl.  Set aside

Combine the chicken, grapes, dice fennel, fennel fronds and tarragon in a large bowl.  Add the dressing and stir to coat.  Stir in the almond slices.

Combine the lettuce, spinach, cucumber and tomatoes.  Divide the greens among 4-6 plates.  Divide the chicken salad between the number of people being served and place on top of the greens.  Print Recipe


Sunday Supper Summer Dinner Salad Recipes

Brilliant Beef Salads

Choice Chicken Salads

Superb Seafood Salads

Vibrant Veggie Salads

Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

9 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, your chicken salad is one of my dream salads and sandwiches. Love your accent of the fennel and citrus =) Oh, my, yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I often make salad with fennel and orange, the Sicilian way. But I had never thought of adding chicken to it! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Manu, it was a new experience for us but one we will be repeating.

      Delete

  3. This sounds amazing! I love all the the yummy flavors in every bite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a delicious recipe for dinner on a warm spring night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Chicken Salad. I have some quarters to bake. Maybe I should make extra so I can have some salad this week!!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.