Wednesday, May 17, 2017

"In a Panic" Cherry Peach Cobbler Bars #FantasticalFoodFight

When Sarah announced the theme for this month's Fantastical Food Fight (Cherry Cobbler) I decided I was going to do bars.  I marked it on my calendar and I even decided when I was going to make them as I was having a dinner party and decided that they would be one of the desserts that I served.

Then, as so often happens, life throws a curveball.  You know......that phone call you get letting you know that 5 people will be arriving for dinner in an hour and a half.  Oh, and by the way one of them is Vegetarian.  What do you mean, you don't know?  Of course, you know.  Everyone knows.  Oh C'mon....please don't say these things only happen to me!!

Not one to panic....I actually work pretty well under stress....I think it's a result of working as a cop for so many years.  Okay, so forget the plans of Pasta e Fagioli...let's do a Minestrone instead.  And I will just move the cherry cobbler bars from when planned to the impromptu dinner.   A quick google search finds a fast, easy recipe for cherry cobbler bars using packaged oatmeal cookie mix.  Great, that will work!!

So, I run to the store and, of course, there are no tart frozen cherries to be found.  Change of plans again.  I can still use the idea of the cookie mix.  I head over to the canned goods.  I find an organic tart cherry and peach dessert filling. Perfect.

Run home, throw together the soup.  While the soup is simmering, combine the cookie mix with butter and set a cup of it aside.  Add egg and almond extract ( I used Nielsen-Massey that I had received as a sponsor gift for another event) to the remainder and press it into the bottom of a baking pan.  Open the dessert filling, and pour it over the crust, sprinkle with the reserved cookie mixture and throw it in the oven.


Put the dishes into the dishwasher, pour yourself a glass of wine and when the guests arrive......your house smells wonderful and you are relaxed and ready to be a gracious host.  Life is good.......even if it is more of a crumble than a cobbler because in your panic you entered the wrong search engine.


Cherry Cobbler Bars
adapted from Midwest Living

1 (17 oz)  pkg. Oatmeal Cookie Mix
1 stick butter, room temperature
1 egg
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1/2 t. almond extract
1 (22 oz) jar tart cherry and white peach fruit filling

Empty package of cookie mix into a large bowl.  Cut in the butter using a pastry blender.  Remove one cup of this mixture and set aside.

Add the egg, vanilla and almond to the remaining cookie mixture and stir until well blended.  Press into the bottom of an 8x8x2" baking pan that has been treated with baking spray.

Pour the fruit filling over the bottom crust.  Sprinkle the reserved one cup of the cookie mixture over the fruit filling.  Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 45-50 minutes until topping is golden brown.

Let cool in the pan on a rack before cutting into bars.  Print Recipe


More Cherry Cobbler Creations


8 comments:

  1. Easy peasy! I'm sure it was a huge hit.

    P.S. I have relatives who decide to follow this fad diet or that fad diet. and it's so not fun watching them pick around the forbidden foods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, normally I don't consider dietary restrictions unless they are for a medical reason or allergy because I have a variety available and everyone can find something but in this case I was only serving the soup.

      Delete
  2. Crumbles are so much better than cobblers any way...they don't conjure up images of stinky shoes! Panicked nights like these are way too common in my house, and like you I'm always trying to remember who doesn't eat what and accommodate them. Sometimes it's a real pain in the you know where!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my nights are not normally so hectic but every once in a while.....zoooooooom

      Delete
  3. Lovely dessert, I prefer crumble to cobbler and sure impromptu guests can nearly give us heart attacks! And have you noticed how they expect so much just because you're a food blogger? Come on I'm a food blogger and not a 5 star restaurant chef!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Mayuri. I think we are harder on ourselves than our guests are...at least in my case. I am the one that wants to provide perfection.

      Delete
  4. This looks really yummy. I can't believe the events that led up to it though. You are so accommodating to your guests. I ended up bringing my own meal to a dinner a while back because I doubt anyone wants to accommodate a vegan :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are friends with a couple who are vegan and when we entertain them I keep it vegan however if there are other guests then I just make sure I have some vegan offerings along with the dinner.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.