Saturday, May 20, 2017

Onion Cuts #CrazyIngredientChallenge

You open your basket to find....Potato Chips and Soy Sauce.....Now that is some serious sodium overload!  That is exactly the ingredients we voted to use in this month's Crazy Ingredient Challenge.

CIC is a fun little group in which the members vote from items on two lists of ingredients.  The top vote getter from each group then determines what the group will be required to use in a recipe of their choosing.  Kinda like Chopped but with only 2 ingredients instead of 4.


I decided to peruse the Lay's Potato Chip website for recipes in which I could include soy sauce and found this recipe for an onion pie. It was a very basic recipe and I knew that it would be easily adaptable to this challenge.


The pie already had a potato chip crust with a quiche like filling.  I used the soy sauce to help caramelize the onions. I used whole eggs instead of egg whites, butter instead of margarine and some Alpine Cheddar cheese that I had gotten from Cabot Creamery for another event in which I had participated.


I baked it up in an 8x8x2" pan instead of a pie pan however, next time, I will use the pie pan as I think the pie slices would make a better presentation than the cuts.  I had decided to use cuts because I made this dish as part of an appetizer table and wanted smaller bites.


These little bites were not too salty as I had feared and seemed to be well liked. Guests were very surprised when told that the crust was made of potato chips as it was evident from the looks or taste of this dish.  One of the guests requested the recipe so I always feel the dish was successful when someone wishes to recreate it.

Onion Cuts
adapted from Lays Potato Chips

2 oz. (approx. 30) potato chips
1 large vidalia onion, thinly sliced
1 t. butter
1 t. low sodium soy sauce
1 c. milk
3 eggs
1/2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
freshly cracked pepper to taste

Crush potato chips and place in the bottom of an 8x8x2" baking pan that has been treated with cooking spray. 

Melt butter in a large skillet, add the onions and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until they start to soften.  Sprinkle onions with soy sauce and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until they are golden brown and caramelized.  Transfer to the baking pan, covering the potato chips.  Sprinkle the cheese over all.

Whisk together the eggs, milk and cracked pepper.  Pour over the onion and cheese mixture.  Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 30-35 minutes until puffed and golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes before cutting.  Can be served warm or at room temperature.  Print Recipe

More Onion and Soy Sauce Creations









4 comments:

  1. Definitely an easy dish! It never occurred to me check out the Frito Lays website for ideas. I did find a Buzz Feed post but nothing really jumped out at me. Potato chips in cookies sound great but adding soy sauce? Not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! I have never heard of this dish, but I can see how it would be delicious! Great dish for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.