Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Drats....Foiled Again!!

There's really nothing wrong...I just liked the title.  Today is Try it Tuesday and we are having pot roast.  So you may wonder what is new about pot roast I serve it at least once a month during the cooler weather months.  Well this pot roast is from a recipe I found in Cook's Country Magazine and it calls for the roast to be wrapped in foil before cooking.  I usually braise mine in my dutch oven or toss it in the slow cooker but I have never wrapped it in foil and put it in the oven to slow cook...so that is new.  It also had a tasty sounding rub that you put on it so that is new too.  I made the recipe just as written except that I had no celery seed on hand so I omitted it. It also called for cutting the roast in half and tying it but that seemed like useless steps to me so I just threw mine in there whole and it turned out just fine and dandy.


I really liked the rub used for this roast.
The cornstarch added into the rub thickened the juices so there was no need to make gravy.
The foil packet made clean up a breeze!!


Pot Roast in Foil
taken from Cook's Country 

Rub

3 T. cornstarch
4 t. onion powder
2 t. light brown sugar
2 t. salt
1 t. pepper
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. instant espresso powder
1 t. dried thyme
1/2 t. celery seed

Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl.  Set aside

1 (4 lb) Chuck Roast
2 onions, quartered
6 small red potatoes, quartered
4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 1/2" pieces
2 bay leaves
2 T. soy sauce

Crisscross two 30x18" pieces of heavy duty foil inside a large roasting pan.  Place the vegetables and bay leaves in the center of the foil and sprinkle with soy sauce.  Pat the roast dry with paper towel and cover all over with the rub. Enfold the roast in the foil by folding opposite sides towards each other and crimping.  Place in a 300* oven for 4 1/2 hrs or until meat is completely tender.  Remove roast from foil pouch and let rest, tented with foil for 20 minutes.  Remove vegetables to serving platter and strain the pan juices into a fat separator.  When liquid settles pour the defatted juices into a serving bowl. Thinly slice the roast against the grain and serve with the pan juices and vegetables.
Print Recipe

I am sharing this recipe at Thrifty Thursday, stop by and see what others are sharing.  I am also linking up with Friday Favorites so while you are out and about stop by there also.

A year ago- Just another Manic Monday

8 comments:

  1. My granddaughter Paige LOVES, Loves , loves pot roast. Yours looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pretty good recipe Paula, I especially liked how the gravy was premade for you.

      Delete
  2. I love a good ol pot roast and this version sounds like an easy fix. We used to have Pot Roast every Sunday when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do too LeaAnn and this was a very easy peasy recipe and delicious to boot.

      Delete
  3. This is a fabulous roast. When winter finally gets here, I'm begging for this one. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy!
    I would love if you would stop by my Friday Favorites Linkup and share!
    http://thediaryofarealhousewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jennie, I am happy to share on your link. Thanks for the invitation.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.