Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Maurice Salad and an invitation to join in Movies & Munchies

Please join me this month in watching the 2016 Musical, LA LA Land, starring Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone.

LA LA Land
I had not watched this movie when I invited the Movies and Munchies gang to join me this month.  I was researching Valentine's Day movies and found this chosen as one of the best in an article by Woman's Day.  

Movies and Munchies logo

Movies and Munchies is a fun, easy-going group that gets together each month to watch a film and then share a recipe that the film inspired them to make.  If you are not a blogger but would like to join in the fun you can post your food inspiration on Instagram.  

At the end of the month, the host posts a round-up of all the recipes and movie reviews and we all show each other a little bit of love.  You should join us.  After all, this is the month of Love.

I didn't know what to expect when I turned on this film but it wasn't what I was watching.  I felt as if I had gone back in time, to an era of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, with some Mary Poppins thrown in.

The movie was pretty slow-paced and it had little food inspiration.  However, I love musicals and, as an extra bonus, John Legend is in this film!!!  I have a crush on Legend so just his appearance made the film worthwhile in my opinion.

Maurice Salad

The movie is set in LA and follows a jazz musician, Sebastian, who dreams of opening his own jazz lounge one day, and a barista, Mia, who dreams of becoming an actress.  

It is hate at first sight when they meet in a traffic jam.  Then they bump into each other again in the coffee shop, covering Mia (who is on the way to an audition) in iced coffee, in a bar following Sebastian getting fired, and finally at a party where the hate turns to like.

The like eventually turns into love as Mia and Seb support each other and help each other turn their dreams into reality.  I won't tell you anymore as I don't want to give any spoilers.

Maurice Salad pin

As for food inspiration, there were drinks and pastries in the coffee shop.  Lots of scenes with alcoholic beverages.  A walk through Chinatown and many dinners in restaurants and at home but not many shots of food other than a shrimp cocktail and salads.

So I took my inspiration from my childhood as this film reminded me of those I watched when I was young.  One of the fanciest restaurants I visited as a child was in JL Hudson's.  It had tablecloths and real napkins.  Goblets for ice water and food that I thought was "oh so elegant". 

Cookbook

As an adult, it was a popular place for me to meet with friends or take my children when we were out shopping.  I bought this cookbook in 1992 and have made nearly every recipe in the years since.  Today I am sharing the Maurice Salad for which Hudson's was famous.  This salad was bite after bite of nostalgia.....just like this film.

I am also linking up with Foodies Read for February.  Stop by and see what the other foodies are reading this month.  If you would like to join in our Movies and Munchies please comment below and I will send you an invitation to our Facebook page.  



Entrees, Main Courses, Salads,
Dinner
American
Yield: 3 Main Course servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Maurice Salad

Maurice Salad

This is the Maurice Salad made famous by Hudson's. It makes a delicious and filling lunch or light dinner.
Prep time: 15 MinTotal time: 15 Min

Ingredients

Maurice Dressing
  • 1 t. white vinegar
  • 3/4 t. lemon juice
  • dash of onion powder
  • 3/4 t. sugar
  • 3/4 t. Dijon mustard
  • dash of dry mustard
  • 1/2 c. mayonnaise
  • 1 hard-boiled egg, diced
  • salt to taste
Salad
  • 1/2 lb. ham, cut into strips
  • 1/2 lb. cooked turkey breast, cut into strips
  • 1/2 lb. Swiss Cheese, cut into strips
  • 1/4 c. slivered sweet baby gherkins
  • 1 small head of iceberg lettuce, shredded
  • 12 pimento-stuffed olives

Instructions

  1. Combine the vinegar, lemon juice, onion powder, sugar, Dijon mustard and dried mustard in a bowl and stir to dissolve. Add the mayonnaise and egg. Stir to combine. Taste and season with salt, as needed.
  2. Divide the lettuce between 3 bowls or plates. Arrange the ham, turkey and cheese onto the lettuce. Sprinkle with the pickles and olives. Place 1/3 of the dressing onto the center of each salad and serve.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe from Someone's in the Kitchen with Dayton's, Marshall Field's, Hudson's

Nutrition Facts

Calories

884.79

Fat (grams)

69.86 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

23.77 g

Carbs (grams)

7.16 g

Fiber (grams)

2.13 g

Net carbs

5.03 g

Sugar (grams)

3.94 g

Protein (grams)

56.8 g

Sodium (milligrams)

1945.8 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

235.85 mg

5 comments:

  1. Love those old school cookbooks! I've never seen the movie and I'm from La La Land!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a great movie but if you like musicals it's an okay way to spend a rainy afternoon. I hope all is well with you and that you aren't being affected too much by the flooding.

      Delete
  2. I love the nostalgia of this post! It was great inspiration. I did end up liking the film. I thought the ending probably helped the overall story line. Thanks for hosting! Mine is up. (I think I double posted at FB.) Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you enjoyed it Debra. It was not a movie that I would rewatch but I thought it was a fun, different type of film.

      Delete
  3. I like also mourice salad please . Thanks your nice romantic blog.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.