Sunday, February 25, 2024

Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake with No Cook Fudge Frosting~~Recipe Redo

This flashback to the Fifties is a perfect dessert for the upcoming Easter festivities.  The mayonnaise creates a moist, tender crumb and the sprinkles add Spring flair.

Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake

I first shared this cake with you in 2015.  You can see the original post here.  When the topic for Our Family Table was retro recipes I decided to share it again.  Google made some changes to their formats and the recipe I had on the original post is no longer printable.  I have since started redoing recipe cards for my older posts and this was a great opportunity to give this post a facelift. 

Before I share my recipe and story, let's see what the others brought to this Retro Party........

Retro Recipes


We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you're at it, join our Pinterest board, too!




Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake pin

During the 50's, when I was young,  we had an influx of  "convenience" foods, and with them came recipes, often on the back of the package.  Most of these recipes were delicious and became standard fare in kitchens all over America.  Think Lipton Onion Soup Dip, Tollhouse Cookies, Jello Poke Cakes and Impossible Pies.  We have all made and/or enjoyed these dishes; some are still very popular today.  

When my kids were young, back in the 70's, I bought a copy of Back of the Box Gourmet.  A cookbook that had compiled all of these recipes into one easy location.  This recipe was adapted from two found in this book.



Desserts, Cake, Chocolate,
Desserts
American
Yield: 12 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake with No Bake Fudge Frosting

Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake with No Bake Fudge Frosting

This flashback to the Fifties is a perfect dessert for the upcoming Easter festivities. The mayonnaise creates a moist, tender crumb and the sprinkles add Spring flair.
Prep time: 15 MinCook time: 45 MinTotal time: 1 Hour

Ingredients

Cake
  • 1 1/2 t. baking soda
  • 1 1/2 c. boiling water
  • 1 1/2 c. coarsely chopped dates
  • 1 1/2 c. coarsely chopped walnuts
  • 1 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1 1/2 c. mayonnaise
  • 9 T. cocoa powder
  • 3 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
Frosting
  • 2 c. confectioners sugar
  • 1/2 c. chocolate syrup
  • 1/4 c. cocoa
  • 1/4 c. melted butter
  • 1/2 t. vanilla
  • Sprinkles, if desired

Instructions

Cake
  1. Prepare a 9x13" baking pan by spraying with baking spray or greasing and flouring.
  2. In a small bowl, dissolve the soda in the hot water. Stir in dates and nuts.
  3. In a large bowl combine sugar and mayonnaise with a mixer set at low speed until combined. Blend in cocoa powder and vanilla. Add date mixture and beat until well mixed. Gradually beat in flour until smooth.
  4. Pour into prepared pan and bake in a preheated 350* oven for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Frosting
  1. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Blend well. Use immediately.
  2. Spread frosting over top of cake. Add sprinkles, if desired.

Notes

Recipes adapted from Back of the Box Gourmet

Nutrition Facts

Calories

711.79

Fat (grams)

35.75 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

7.25 g

Carbs (grams)

96.98 g

Fiber (grams)

5.78 g

Net carbs

91.18 g

Sugar (grams)

63.87 g

Protein (grams)

7.61 g

Sodium (milligrams)

379.2 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

21.93 mg

13 comments:

  1. This is a delicious looking cake with the dates and walnuts and the idea to use mayonnaise certainly makes it easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good! That cookbook sounds so fun too! I definitely grew up on all of those kinds of dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mom used to make a chocolate mayo cake when I was young. It was so good. Yours looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had this cake in years but it's so moist and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your list (from you and others) of retro dishes! I’ve heard about mayo in a cake, but never knowingly have tried it. I’m surprised that it doesn’t start with a cake mix, as so many did in the 50s and after.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember the big sheet cake pans of chocolate cake from my youth! Everyone loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never made a mayo cake. The mayo probably makes it super moist and delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.