Sunday, July 2, 2023

BYO Chef Salad Bar #SundayFunday

Nope, you do not have to Bring Your Own to this Salad Bar....this BYO stands for Build Your Own.  You provide all the goodies and let folks make their salad exactly to their liking.  Add some fresh breads and/or dinner rolls and you have a complete meal without ever turning on a stove, grill or oven.

Chef Salad Makings

The Sunday Funday Bloggers are sharing Salads today.......
Sunday Funday Logo

It's my week to host and I decided to ask for recipes that would fill us up without heating up the house.  For me, that means main course salads or perhaps a side salad for whatever we have on the grill.  Let's see what the others are serving up........

Salad

Frank was teaching a CPL class in which some of the students were vegetarian.  I decided to make this Build Your Own Salad Bar for lunch so that people could eat according to their preferences.  I had served some fresh fruit for breakfast and left the remaining berries out during the lunch service.  While not traditional in a Chef Salad, I love fresh or dried fruit in my salads.

Salad bar pin

There is really no recipe, per se, for this salad.  I went to the deli and requested the ham, turkey and cheeses to be cut into a 1/2" thick slice.  I hardboiled the eggs using the instant pot recipe.  This is a perfect lunch or dinner to serve poolside when feeding guests or attending a pot luck.


Salads, Build your Own, Main Courses
Entree, Salads
American
Yield: 8 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Build Your Own Chef Salad Bar

Build Your Own Chef Salad Bar

You provide all the goodies and let folks make their salad exactly to their liking. Add some fresh breads and/or dinner rolls and you have a complete meal without ever turning on a stove, grill or oven.
Prep time: 20 MinTotal time: 20 Min

Ingredients

  • 3-4 heads romaine lettuce, chopped
  • 1 English cucumber, sliced
  • 1 pint grape tomatoes
  • 1/2 " thick slice Black Forest Deli Ham, cut into batons or large dice
  • 1/2" thick slice Smoked Deli Turkey, cut into batons or large dice
  • 1/2" thick slice Deli Colby Jack Cheese, cut into batons or large dice
  • 1/2" thick slice Deli Swiss Cheese, cut into batons or large dice
  • 8 hard boiled eggs, peeled and halved
  • 1 Jar or Bottle of Thousand Island Dressing, of choice

Instructions

  1. Arrange all ingredients in an attractive manner and serve, allowing others to make their own salads.

calories per loaf.

18 comments:

  1. Such a good idea and looks so appetizing. Perfect for Fourth of July for some lighter healthier eating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea!!! No more picking dreaded peppers out of my salad...but still tasting them even when they're not there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! I think I might have to do this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea and your presentation is fabulous. Love the divided bowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I received that as a gift about 20 years ago. It has been well used.

      Delete
  5. Wendy, I love this idea, provide all the salad ingredients and everyone builds their own. What a unique party idea. Will have to give this idea a try before the summer ends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delicious and fun way to serve a salad, love this idea Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice one with pick what you like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! this is definitely the best salad idea. Build your own salad is best for our parties.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous idea, Wendy, especially as you were able to get the deli counter to cut the cheese and meat how you needed them! I love a salad bar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacy. I do too and from the response given by the students it appears many others do as well.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.