Monday, February 5, 2024

Sweet Potato Sushi and a Book Review #CooktheBooks

Vegetable Sushi containing Sweet Potato Fries, Avocado, and Cucumber makes a wonderful appetizer, snack, or light meal.

Sweet Potato Sushi

I adapted this recipe from one shared in our Cook the Books Club Selection for February/March......
Relish

This graphic novel, written in comic book style by Lucy Knisley, was chosen by Simona of Briciole for our Cook the Books Club.  You have 2 months in which to get this fun little read and be inspired by one of the recipes found inside.  You can learn more by going to our Club's Guidelines Page.

Sweet Potato Fries

The star of this sushi is the sweet potato fry that you roll up with cucumber and avocado.  Knisley gives you step-by-step instructions for this sushi in comic-book fashion.  She does not, however, give you the amount of flour and water mixture used to coat the fries, saying only that it should be a glue-like consistency.  I used equal parts of flour and water.  I think it worked out fine because these fries were delicious and I was a little worried that I would not have enough for the sushi as we kept snacking on them beforehand.

I don't think that I have read a comic book since I was 9 or 10 years old.  Richie Rich was my favorite comic for a while and my Mom would let me buy them when we were out grocery shopping.  I had fun reading a comic again, especially since it contained recipes.

Sweet Potato Sushi Pin

Lucy Knisely is a comic book artist and foodie who was raised by foodies.  She tells the story of her life growing up with cartoons and food memories.  You can read the book, make a recipe, and enjoy both in one afternoon.

It's hard to believe that it is already February.  It's a busy month around here on the Farm with birthdays and holidays.  

I am linking up with Foodies Read.  Stop by and see what the other Foodies are reading this month.



Appetizers, Vegetarian, Sushi,
Appetizers
Japanese
Yield: 8-10 appetizer servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Sweet Potato Sushi

Sweet Potato Sushi

Vegetable Sushi containing Sweet Potato Fries, Avocado, and Cucumber makes a wonderful appetizer, snack, or light meal.
Prep time: 30 MinCook time: 10 MinInactive time: 30 MinTotal time: 1 H & 10 M

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 c. sushi rice, cooked per package directions and cooled
  • 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into thin fries
  • 1/2 c. flour
  • 1/2 c. water
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • canola oil for frying
  • Nori sheets
  • 1/2 English Cucumber, halved lengthwise and cut into thin strips
  • 1 Avocado, pitted, peeled and cut into thin strips
  • Soy Sauce for serving

Instructions

  1. Whisk together the flour and water in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add the sweet potato fries and toss to coat.
  2. Heat about an inch of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the sweet potato fries, in batches, until crisp and golden brown. Remove each batch to a plate lined with paper towel and set aside.
  3. Place a Nori sheet, shiny side up, onto a bamboo mat. Spread some rice over the Nori, leaving about an inch of border on the top and bottom.
  4. Place a few strips of sweet potato in the center from edge to edge. Follow this with the cucumber and avocado.
  5. Dip your finger in water and wet the top and bottom edges of the Nori. Using the mat to assist, roll the sushi tightly and set aside. Continue making rolls until all of the filling ingredients are used.
  6. Cut each sushi roll into 8 pieces, using a sharp serrated knife dipped in water before each cut. Place onto a platter and serve with soy sauce for dipping.

Notes

Inspired by a recipe found in Relish by Lucy Knisely

Nutrition Facts

Calories

144.33

Fat (grams)

5.61 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

0.7 g

Carbs (grams)

21.48 g

Fiber (grams)

3.18 g

Net carbs

18.32 g

Sugar (grams)

1.74 g

Protein (grams)

2.79 g

Sodium (milligrams)

170.28 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

0 mg

8 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed reading the book, Wendy. And nice job with the sushi. It sounds like the sweet potato fries were also a hit. Thank you so much for your contribution to Cook the Books club :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this book! (I used to be treated to comics at the grocery store, too, but I bought vampire comics which scared the crap out of me!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun throwback to childhood. I was a chicken but I did watch Dark Shadows after school with my Mom. The neighbors were scandalized that she allowed me to watch

      Delete
  3. I've never tried sushi, but I'd like to. I bet this is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a perfect sushi for those who haven't tried it because they are afraid of the raw fish. Thanks for stopping by Deb.

      Delete
  4. I want to make this! Haven't tried my hand at sushi in years, but this is inspiration. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.