Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Olive Oil Blueberry Muffins #BreadBakers

These healthier muffins, made with a mixture of whole wheat and white flour, are sweetened with very little sugar and lots of blueberries, high in antioxidants.  Moistened with low-fat milk and heart-healthy olive oil, these muffins are the perfect start to your day and your New Year.

Olive Oil Blueberry Muffins

It's time for the 2024 edition of Bread Bakers......
When Stacy of Food Lust People Love asked us if we wanted to continue Bread Bakers this year the answer was a resounding YES.  She is kicking off the year with Mediterranean Breads.

Let's see what everyone baked up for this first event of the year......


Olive Oil Blueberry Muffins

Now I know what you are thinking.  Why, with all the delicious choices available to me with this topic, would I choose to make muffins?  Fair Question.

On the day that Stacy announced the theme for today's event, my husband informed me that he had scheduled a CPL class.   I always provide a light breakfast and lunch for the students who are in the class, so I did a Google search for Meditteranean Muffins and up popped this recipe from Meditteranean Living.

Olive Oil Blueberry Muffins pin


I had all the ingredients on hand.  They were heart-healthy and low-fat to start off the New Year after all the excess of the Holiday season.  All I needed to do was throw together a quick Apple and Grape Salad with a Honey Yogurt Dressing and I was ready for the students to arrive.  I'll be sharing that Apple and Grape Salad with you in an upcoming post so stay tuned.

I have adapted the recipe by cutting the ingredients in half.  The original recipe provided for 24 Muffins.


Breads, Muffins, Breakfast, Snacks, Healthy, Nutritious, Quick, Easy
Muffins
Mediterranean
Yield: 12 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Olive Oil Blueberry Muffins

Olive Oil Blueberry Muffins

These healthier muffins, made with a mixture of whole wheat and white flour, are sweetened with very little sugar and lots of blueberries, high in antioxidants. Moistened with low-fat milk and heart-healthy olive oil, these muffins are the perfect start to your day and your New Year.
Prep time: 5 MinCook time: 18 MinTotal time: 23 Min

Ingredients

  • 1 c. flour
  • 1 c. white whole wheat flour
  • 1/3 c. sugar
  • 3 t. baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 c. fresh blueberries
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 c. olive oil
  • 1 c. milk (I used 2%)

Instructions

  1. Place both flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl and whisk to combine. Stir in the blueberries.
  2. Whisk together the milk, olive oil, and egg. Add to the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated.
  3. Divide between 12 muffin tins that have been treated with baking spray.
  4. Bake in a preheated 400* oven for about 18 minutes, until a skewer inserted removes cleanly.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe found in Mediterranean Living

Nutrition Facts

Calories

170.73

Fat (grams)

7.33 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

1.34 g

Carbs (grams)

23.57 g

Fiber (grams)

1.58 g

Net carbs

21.99 g

Sugar (grams)

7.79 g

Protein (grams)

3.63 g

Sodium (milligrams)

138.58 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

16.08 mg

13 comments:

  1. Your husband's classes must be the most popular in the area when the students learn that you are providing breakfast and lunch, Wendy! I'd sign up just to get one of these muffins and a taste of that salad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Stacy! Frank's lucky students! I love a new twist on a blueberry muffin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great muffins! I would go for second helping and love the use of olive oil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Olive oil totally makes it Mediterranean. Blueberry muffins are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky students to get such delicious healthy muffins, love these Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Stacy, I would also love to join the classes to enjoy your delicious food. The muffins look good, and with olive oil it would be light as well.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.