Sunday, January 7, 2024

Walleye Tempura #SundayFunday

Fried Fish doesn't have to be heavy and batter-laden.   This walleye coated with cornstarch before being dipped in tempura batter is light, crispy, and scrumptious.

Walleye Tempura

The Sunday Funday Bloggers are celebrating National Tempura Day.....
Sunday Funday logo

I am hosting this week and asked the others to join me in celebrating National Tempura Day.   Let's take a look at what everyone fried up......


Walleye Tempura pin

I am lucky enough to live in the Great Lakes State where fresh Walleye (Pickerel) and Perch are abundant.  I am even luckier to have anglers in my life who provide me with their fresh catch that was frozen immediately upon cleaning.  

When I invited friends over for a Holiday Dinner and Game Night, John graciously offered to bring over some Walleye for me to prepare.  He also brought an apple pie to the dinner, while other friends supplied appetizers, rolls, sides, and desserts.  I fried up the fish using a tempura batter and made some Tartar Sauce substituting Green Tomato Relish for the sweet relish and a delicious Cabbage Salad that I shared with you last Sunday.

When I made my Tempura batter for this fish, I forgot to add the egg yolk.  It still turned out great so I am sharing it as I made it.  You can add an egg yolk if you want but it is not necessary and it will make the batter a little thicker.




Entrees, Fish, Fried, Tempura
Entrees, Fish
Japanese
Yield: 8 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Walleye Tempura

Walleye Tempura

Fried Fish doesn't have to be heavy and batter-laden. This walleye coated with cornstarch before being dipped in tempura batter is light, crispy, and scrumptious.
Prep time: 5 MinCook time: 3 MinTotal time: 8 Min

Ingredients

  • 3-4 lbs walleye fillets
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 c. flour
  • 1 c. cornstarch (divided)
  • 1 T. baking powder
  • 1 cup cold sparkling mineral water
  • Canola oil for frying

Instructions

  1. Heat the oil in a deep fryer or deep pot to 375*.
  2. Season the fish with salt and pepper. Place 1/2 cup of the cornstarch into a plastic bag and set aside.
  3. Whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup of cornstarch with the flour, baking soda, and sparkling water, just until combined.
  4. Shake the fish in the cornstarch, in batches, until lightly coated. Immediately dip in the batter and place into the hot oil, cooking until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes, depending on the size of the fillets.
  5. Remove from oil to a wire rack placed over a baking sheet lined with paper towel and keep warm while you fry the remaining fish.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

296.83

Fat (grams)

3.24 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

0.41 g

Carbs (grams)

26.93 g

Fiber (grams)

0.56 g

Net carbs

26.37 g

Sugar (grams)

0.04 g

Protein (grams)

36.99 g

Sodium (milligrams)

292.43 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

85.33 mg

6 comments:

  1. It's so interesting to read all of the different batter recipes. Yours looks perfectly light and crispy, and a perfect way to serve fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another fish I have never had: walleye. But, again, I don't get much fresh water fish. I will try a tempura fish soon. I have done shrimp and squid, but never fish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these gluten free fish walleye tempura, must try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe does contain flour as well as cornstarch Sneha, but I'm sure gluten-free flour would work as well.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.