Friday, January 19, 2024

Crispy Fish Fingers, The Weekly Menu and a Book Review

Tender, white cod is coated with a slightly spicy cornflake crust and baked to a crispy perfection. You have never enjoyed fish sticks so much!!!

Crispy Fish Fingers

Happy Fish Friday! I was inspired to make these fish fingers after listening to Killing in C Sharp.....

Killing in C Sharp

This is the third in a series I have been listening to by Alexia Gordon.  I enjoyed the first book so much that I have listened to two more of them.  Unfortunately, after the first book, Murder in G Major, the narrator was changed.  The first narrator was sarcastic and funny.  She made me laugh out loud.

I was disappointed when I read the second book in the series, Death in D Minor. The story line was just as fun, however, the narrator was new and did not have the inflection and tease in her voice that I had enjoyed in the reading of the first in the series.  In the second and now the third of the series, Gethsemane Brown answers with the same sarcastic tone but that tone does not come through in the reading of the story.  

I am sorry to say that I don't think that I will continue with this series in audible form.  I think I will enjoy reading them myself better than listening to them.  I will continue the series though because they are fun and easy reads that can be enjoyed in a day or two.

In this third novel, Gethsemane is faced with a malevolent ghost that was called forth by one of the members of a "ghostbusters" team, hired by Gethsemane's landlord to capitalize on the ghost of his uncle who resides in the house with Gethsemane.

There are, as always, several murders that the police can't seem to solve without Gethsemane's help. In this story, firstborn sons are stricken ill, affecting Gethsemane's best friends, Niall ( a police detective assigned to cold cases) and Frankie (a fellow teacher at St. Andrew's Academy) as well as several of her students.

Crispy Fish Fingers

The school in which Gethsemane and Frankie teach is notorious for their terrible food.  This time the food maligned in the book was fish fingers.   This inspired me to make some fish fingers that would have the staff and students clamoring for more.  

You will find the recipe for these delicious fish sticks at the bottom of this post but first I want to share our Weekly Menu.

Soup Saturday
Vegetarian Mexican Tortilla Soup

Sunday Supper
Mashed Potatoes
Creamed Corn
Air Fried Brussels Sprouts

Meatless Monday
Vegetable Biryani

Taco Tuesday

Wok Wednesday

Thursday
Chicken Palau
Steamed Rice

Fish Friday
Seafood Crepes




Entrees, Fish, Cod, Crispy, Baked,
Entrees
American
Yield: 4 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Crispy Fish Fingers

Crispy Fish Fingers

Tender, white cod is coated with a slightly spicy cornflake crust and baked to a crispy perfection. You have never enjoyed fish sticks so much!!!
Prep time: 15 MinCook time: 13 MinTotal time: 28 Min

Ingredients

  • 1 lb. cod fillets, cut into 1" strips and patted dry
  • 1 c. flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 c. crushed corn flakes
  • 1 t. lemon pepper seasoning
  • salt to taste
  • 1 t. sweet paprika
  • pinch of cayenne pepper
  • Olive oil cooking spray

Instructions

  1. Place the flour into a shallow bowl and season with the lemon pepper, salt, paprika, and cayenne. Set aside.
  2. Whisk the eggs in a shallow bowl and set aside.
  3. Place the cornflake crumbs in a third shallow bowl and set aside, making a dredging station.
  4. Line a baking sheet with parchment and spray liberally with the olive oil.
  5. Dredge the cod strips, first in the seasoned flour, then in the beaten egg and lastly in the cornflakes. Place onto the baking sheet.
  6. Spray the fish fingers with more of the olive oil and bake in a preheated 400* oven for about 13 minutes, until golden, crispy brown with a flaky inside.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe found at Grandbaby Cakes

Nutrition Facts

Calories

452.31

Fat (grams)

3.5 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

0.98 g

Carbs (grams)

74.36 g

Fiber (grams)

3.1 g

Net carbs

71.24 g

Sugar (grams)

5.84 g

Protein (grams)

30.75 g

Sodium (milligrams)

573.18 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

130.6 mg

4 comments:

  1. I have had that experience where the narrator changes part way through a series and it doesn't work as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had the same thing happen with the Janet Evanovich series.

      Delete
  2. I prefer to read the book, the few times I have done audio books, the narrator was a bit flat. I lost interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The narrator makes all the difference Cathy. I am usually reading one book while listening to another while I walk.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.