Sunday, February 21, 2021

Eggplant Shakshuka #SundayFunday

Shakshuka is a wonderful dish containing a sauce that includes tomatoes in which the eggs are nestled and cooked.  It is rich and savory.  Perfect for breakfast, brunch or brinner.  This recipe includes eggplant in the sauce for a creamy, tasty and savory addition.  Serve with some heated pita bread to sip in those yolks and to gather up all that wonderful sauce.

Eggplant Shakshuka

The Sunday Funday Bloggers are cooking up Breakfast for Supper this week........
I love having breakfast for dinner, especially during Lent when we are abstaining from meat and I run out of ideas for what to serve to my family during those days. 

Eggplant Shakshuka

This means I am very excited that Sue of Palatable Pastime chose this time of year to ask us to share our Breakfast for Supper recipes.  Let's see what everyone cooked up........

Sunday Funday: Breakfast for Supper

eggplant

I have shared other Shakshuka recipes with you in the past.  Shakshuka is a MiddleEastern dish comprised of eggs baked in a savory tomato sauce.  I have made it with just tomato sauce as in this recipe but I have also added flavor and extra nutrition to the sauce as in this Beet Shakshuka and in today's recipe with Roasted Eggplant.

Eggplant Shakshuka

The eggplant and fresh mint get stirred into the sauce which is pretty thick and chunky.  Make indentations in the sauce with the back of a spoon and crack an egg into each indentation.  Season with salt and pepper and bake until the egg is cooked to your preference.  I like mine with the yolks still runny and the whites just set. This takes about 5 minutes.

Eggplant Shakshuka pin

This dish is flavored with flavors from the MiddleEast however they are not the only culture to enjoy Eggs in Tomato Based Sauces.  This Italian Version is incredible as well and if tomatoes are not your thing check out this French Version of Baked Eggs in a Creamy Herb Sauce.



Breakfast, Brunch, Brinner, Tomatoes, Eggplant, Eggs, MiddleEastern
Entrees, Main Courses
Middle Eastern
Yield: 4 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Eggplant Shakshuka

Eggplant Shakshuka

Shakshuka is a wonderful dish containing a sauce that includes tomatoes in which the eggs are nestled and cooked. It is rich and savory. Perfect for breakfast, brunch or brinner. This recipe includes eggplant in the sauce for a creamy, tasty and savory addition. Serve with some heated pita bread to sip in those yolks and to gather up all that wonderful sauce.
Prep time: 15 MinCook time: 50 Mininactive time: 30 MinTotal time: 1 H & 34 M

Ingredients

  • 2 small eggplants, diced
  • 3 1/2  T. olive oil, divided
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/4 c. chopped mint
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 t. paprika
  • 1 t. ground cumin
  • pinch of crushed red pepper
  • 1 (15 oz) can crushed tomato puree
  • 4 eggs

Instructions

  1. Toss the eggplant with 1 1/2 Tablespoons of the oil. Season with salt and pepper and place onto a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment or a silicone mat.  Roast in a preheated 375* oven until tender and golden brown, about half an hour.
  2. Increase oven heat to 425*.
  3. In large, oven safe skillet, heat the remaining oil over medium heat.  Add the onions and garlic.  Cook, stirring, until fragrant and the onions are beginning to brown.
  4. Season with teh paprika, cumin and crushed red pepper.  Add the tomato puree, eggplant and mint.  Cook and stir until combined and warmed through.  
  5. Create 4 indentions in the sauce with the back of a spoon.  Crack and egg into each and season with salt and pepper.  Place in the preheated 425* oven until eggs are cooked to your preferences, about 5 minutes for eggs with set whites and runny yolks.

Notes:

Adapted from a recipe found at Good Housekeeping

Calories

336.22

Fat (grams)

17.51

Sat. Fat (grams)

3.34

Carbs (grams)

39.36

Fiber (grams)

6.84

Net carbs

32.52

Sugar (grams)

18.61

Protein (grams)

9.29

Sodium (milligrams)

211.68

Cholesterol (grams)

186.00

14 comments:

  1. I hadn't thought of doing eggplant in shaksuka until I saw your post. I think I would prefer this over other types. We really love Middle Eastern eggplant dishes here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was delicious Sue...I have a new shakshuka recipe that I will be posting soon.

      Delete
  2. I adore shakshuka! It's also great for poaching fish. I love that you added eggplant! P.S. Your eggs look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good ! I enjoy eggplant, may have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had Shakshuka once (at a breakfast restaurant) and LOVED it. That was almost four years ago and I have been vowing to make it at home ever since! Love the eggplant addition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy learnt a new word from you today...brinner :) As for shakshuka, my family loves it and we often make it for dinner. I love your idea of adding eggplants and mint to the tomato sauce. Will try out your recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the addition of eggplant here with eggs in a shakshuka

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this for breakfast, lunch or dinner, and like the addition of eggplant in it, I am going to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at you cramming so many yummy veggies into this dish! I have had shakshuka on my list to make forever and still haven't gotten around to it...

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.