Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Sudanese Peanut Stew #EattheWorld

This vegetarian stew is warm, comforting and delicious. Filled with sweet potatoes, spinach and tomatoes then flavored with peanut butter it is healthy, colorful and nutritious.

Sudanese Peanut Stew

We are traveling to Sudan today with the Eat the World crew........

Evelyne of CulturEatz invites us each month to join her as we virtually travel to other countries to share the food of their culture.  I love this group and look forward to it each and every month.  This month we are traveling to Sudan.  Here is what we will be eating.......

Sudanese Peanut Stew

This colorful vegan stew is chock full of colorful vegetables.  Sweet potatoes, spinach, and tomatoes combine to create a hearty and healthy stew.  A little bit of peanut butter stirred in, adds to the flavor and offers some protein.  I was excited to serve this up to my family.

Sudanese Peanut Stew pin

I wish that I could say they were as happy to receive it as I was to serve it.  My husband is never excited with Meatless Meals.  He seldom complains but never goes back for a second serving.  The Teen, however, is usually very happy with Meatless Meals.  However, after a bite of this stew she asked me why I would put peanut butter in a stew....she only had one serving as well.  That was fine with me because I enjoyed it thoroughly and had the last serving available as my lunch the following day.


Vegetarian, Vegan, Stew, Peanut Butter, Sweet Potato,
Meatless Entrees, Main Courses
Sudanese
Yield: 4 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Sudanese Peanut Stew

Sudanese Peanut Stew

This vegetarian stew is warm, comforting and delicious. Filled with sweet potatoes, spinach and tomatoes then flavored with peanut butter it is healthy, colorful and nutritious.
Prep time: 10 MinCook time: 35 MinTotal time: 45 Min

Ingredients

  • 1 T. olive oil
  • 1 sweet onion, chopped
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 T. tomato paste
  • 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
  • 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
  • 2 1/2 c. vegetable stock
  • 1 bunch spinach, cleaned, stemmed and chopped
  • 1/2 c. peanut butter (I used extra crunchy)
  • 2 c. cooked brown rice, I used a brown rice/quinoa mixture

Instructions

  1. Heat the oil in a large soup pot over med high heat.  Add the onions, season with salt and pepper,  and cook until fragrant and translucent.  Stir in the garlic and cook, stirring for another minute before stirring in the tomato paste. 
  2. Add the sweet potatoes, tomatoes with their juices and the vegetable stock.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are tender.  Add the spinach and peanut butter, stirring until peanut butter is melted and spinach is wilted.
  3. Divide into 4 shallow bowls and top with 1/2 c. cooked rice.  

Notes:

Adapted from a recipe found at Sneaky Veg

Calories

485.13

Fat (grams)

21.26

Sat. Fat (grams)

3.89

Carbs (grams)

63.64

Fiber (grams)

9.26

Net carbs

54.38

Sugar (grams)

12.54

Protein (grams)

14.93

Sodium (milligrams)

760.24

Cholesterol (grams)

0.00

14 comments:

  1. That looks SO good! I made a peanut-bean stew also...that didn't make the blog yet. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a delicious bowl of peanut stew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so tempted to do a peanut butter stew - and was very afraid I'd be the only one eating it! It reminded me so much of a lot of the west african cooking we enjoyed in Senegal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The stew looks colorful and delicious! I would love to have a bowl of this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to avoid peanut butter and meatless meals in my house as well! It sure does look tasty though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so tasty - I know I would love it, too. From doing our cooking for these challenges, I've really come to love the richness of adding peanut butter to savoury dishes. It's so creamy and comforting and utterly surprising how delicious it is.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.