Thursday, February 11, 2021

Mediterranean Chicken and Orzo #ImprovCookingChallenge

This easy slow cooker recipe takes only 15 minutes active time and half a day in the slow cooker.  Put it together before you go out to play in the snow and when you get home it is piping hot and ready to warm your body and soothe your soul.

Mediterranean Chicken and Orzo

Join the Improv Cooking Team as we share recipes containing Tomatoes and Pasta......

Improv Cooking Challenge Logo

Nichole of Cookaholic Wife challenges us each month to each come up with a recipe that contains two of the same ingredients....in this case....Tomatoes and Pasta.  Let's see what everyone made............

February Improv Cooking Challenge

Improv Cooking Challenge:February 2021

Tomatoes & Pasta
My husband suffered a stroke and then a brain bleed at the beginning of the year, caused by hypertension.  Since he has been home from the hospital I have been doing my best to change our diet to a low sodium and heart healthy menu.  I have been finding a lot of help and ideas by looking through Eating Well magazines and website. 
 
This dish is one I found on line.  It called for olives but my husband is not an olive lover so I omitted them.  I would also tone down the lemon a little bit next time I make it, perhaps a smaller lemon or the juice of half a larger lemon.  I was unable to find whole wheat orzo so I just went with the regular kind.


    Slow cooker, Chicken, Entrees, Pasta
    Entrees, Pasta, Chicken
    American
    Yield: 4 servings
    Author: Wendy Klik
    Slow Cooker Chicken and Orzo

    Slow Cooker Chicken and Orzo

    This easy slow cooker recipe takes only 15 minutes active time and half a day in the slow cooker. Put it together before you go out to play in the snow and when you get home it is piping hot and ready to warm your body and soothe your soul.
    Prep time: 15 MinCook time: 4 H & 30 MTotal time: 4 H & 45 M

    Ingredients

    • 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 4 pieces
    • 1 c. chicken broth (low sodium)
    • 3 Campari tomatoes, seeded and diced
    • 1/2 Vidalia onion, chopped
    • zest and juice of 1 small lemon
    • 1 t. Herbes de Provence
    • salt and pepper, to taste
    • 3/4 c. orzo (whole wheat if available)

    Instructions

    1. Place the chicken, broth, tomatoes, onion, lemon zest, lemon juice, herbs, salt and pepper in the crock of a slow cooker.  Cook on high for 2 hrs. or low for 4 hrs.
    2. Stir in orzo and cook on high for another 30 minutes.

    Notes:

    Adapted from a recipe found at Eating Well.

    Calories

    282.05

    Fat (grams)

    4.93

    Sat. Fat (grams)

    1.24

    Carbs (grams)

    18.02

    Fiber (grams)

    1.26

    Net carbs

    16.76

    Sugar (grams)

    4.52

    Protein (grams)

    39.47

    Sodium (milligrams)

    1087.78

    Cholesterol (grams)

    101.37

8 comments:

  1. I love orzo pasta and this dish is making me feel hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so creamy and cozy - the perfect meal to warm you up on a cool day! And I appreciate any chance I get to let my slow cooker do the work, while it warms the kitchen and makes the house smell yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is simple and great! Loving it as a slow cooker meal and this would come in handy for those busy evenings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see some more orzo recipes. Especially as part of a main dish. I'll have to try this one soon.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.