Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Breakfast Biscuit Pizza #BreadBakers

This hearty, rib sticking, breakfast is just what you need before a winter's day activity of xcountry skiing, snow shoeing, or sledding.  These are all great activities we can enjoy while still social distancing.

Breakfast Biscuit Pizza

The Bread Bakers are sharing Pizzas today........
My friend Karen of Karen's Kitchen Stories is hosting Bread Bakers today.  She asked us to share pizza recipes saying.....

"Bake your favorite pizza.. pan pizza, grandma pizza, deep dish pizza, Chicago style pizza, flatbread pizza, Detroit Style Pizza, English muffin pizza, Neapolitan pizza, and/or grilled pizza (or any other type of pizza). In other words, share your favorite pizza recipe."

 

Breakfast Biscuit Pizza

I have shared quite a few pizza recipes on my blog.  In fact, I did a year of Pizzas in 2014, making a new pizza each month.  Some of my favorite pizzas that I have shared and that I make time and again are the Cheeseburger Pizza, Chicago Style Pizza and the Grilled BBQ Chicken Pizza.

I also have a favorite Easy Weeknight Pizza Dough that I can make in a short amount of time and top with whatever I have on hand when a pizza hankering hits.  Lately, when I have planned pizza for dinner I have used my sourdough discard to make a Sourdough Pizza Crust.....so good.

Breakfast Biscuit Pizza

The crust for today's pizza is buttermilk biscuit dough pressed into a cast iron skillet and baked for just a short while before adding the toppings.

Breakfast Biscuit Pizza

While the biscuit is baking, you can start on your sausage and bacon gravy.  I added some chopped chard to the gravy for some extra color and nutrition.

Breakfast Biscuit Pizza

Remove the pan from the oven and use a wooden spoon to make indentations in the biscuit.  There were three of us eating so I only made 3 indentations.  If you are feeding four there is plenty of room for another. 

Divide the gravy sauce between the indentations, sprinkle with tomatoe and crack an egg on top.  Return it to the oven until the eggs are set to your liking.  I baked it for another 15 minutes because we like our whites set and our yolks runny.

Breakfast Biscuit Pizza pin

This is the first time I have made this pizza so it was not one of my favorites but it is absolutely one of my favorites now.  

Lets take a look at the other pizzas being shared today..............


Breakfast, Brunch, Biscuit, Skillet Meal, Eggs, Sausage, Bacon, Gravy
Breakfast, Brunch
American
Yield: 3 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Breakfast Biscuit Pizza

Breakfast Biscuit Pizza

This hearty, rib sticking, breakfast is just what you need before a winter's day activity of xcountry skiing, snow shoeing, or sledding. These are all great activities we can enjoy while still social distancing.
Prep time: 20 MinCook time: 30 MinTotal time: 50 Min

Ingredients

  • 1 c. flour
  • 1 t. baking powder
  • 1 t. baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 4 T. cold butter, cubed
  • 1/2 c. buttermilk
  • 4 oz. bulk breakfast sausage
  • 2 strips thick cut bacon, diced
  • 2 T. flour
  • 1 c. milk
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 small onion, diced
  • 1 bunch chard leaves, chopped
  • 1 tomato, seeded and diced
  • 3 eggs

Instructions

  1. Place the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and butter into the bowl of a food processor and pulse 2-3 times until the butter is pea sized.  Add the buttermilk and pulse 2-3 times until incorporated. Turn into a cast iron skillet and press into the bottom and partially up the sides.  Bake in a preheated 400* oven for about 10 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, brown the sausage and bacon in a large skillet over med high heat until bacon is crisp and fat is rendered.  Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate.
  3. Drain all but 2 T. fat from the skillet and return to heat.  Whisk in the 2 Tablespoons of flour.  Once incorporated whisk in the milk.  Cook and stir until smooth and thickened, season with salt and pepper.  Return bacon and sausage to the gravy.  Stir in the chard and cook until wilted.  Remove from heat.
  4. Remove biscuit from oven and, using the back of a wooden spoon, make three indentations in the biscuit.  Fill each with a third of the sausage gravy and sprinkle with tomatoes.  Break one egg on top of each filled indentation.  Return to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes or so, until the eggs are cooked to your preference.

Notes:

Adapted from a recipe found at Cuisine at Home, Issue #79

Calories

620.64

Fat (grams)

35.76

Sat. Fat (grams)

16.87

Carbs (grams)

48.33

Fiber (grams)

3.15

Net carbs

45.18

Sugar (grams)

4.89

Protein (grams)

26.79

Sodium (milligrams)

1587.48

Cholesterol (grams)

275.30

20 comments:

  1. This is BRILLIANT, Wendy! And your eggs are perfectly done. I'm imagining ripping off a piece of that lovely biscuit crust to dip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just cut it all up together so the yolk covered everything. So good.

      Delete
  2. What a cool and quick way to make pizza! I love the chard in there too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun and flavorful! Looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to make a breakfast pizza asap!! I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Breakfast biscuit pizza looks delicious I need to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy, your pizza dough sounds delicious and those yummy toppings take it to another level.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a fabulous idea, Wendy!!! I can just imagine those runny yolks on the pizza with the chard. Perfection! Saving this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great breakfast to start the day! Delicious and nutritious! What a great idea to make it with biscuit dough, Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's an excellent breakfast pizza Wendy, full of nutrition.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow this is a completely different recipe a perfect pizza with. Love the crust of the biscuit base, and the toppings

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks really nice. I imagine everyone would be impressed at brunch. It has me thinking of how I can downsize for two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy Sue. The original recipe used small cast iron skillets and made indivdual servings so if you have those it would be very doable.

      Delete
  12. I love this idea. Definitely hearty!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.