Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Beef Daube Provencal with a Bandol Rouge #Winophiles

When we talk about the wines of Provence, we immediately think of Rose. After all, Rosé from Provence is some of the best in the world. It was a wine from Provence that taught me just how wonderful Rosé can be.Prior to that, being from Michigan, USA, I thought Rosé equalled the sweet pink wine we refer to as White Zinfandel.

Bandol Rouge

The French Winophiles have introduced me to a lot of knowledge regarding the wines of France.  They continue to teach me this month as, Payal of Keep the Peas, invited us to explore the Red Wines of Provence.

Beef Daube Provencal with a Bandol Rouge

I actually found this bottle of 2017 Domaine Tempier Bandol Rouge Cuvee La Tourtine from Provence, France locally. Well about an hour away from me but still...... That's pretty good for my neck of the woods.  

Our friends, Don and Mickey, who own Anchor Bay Scuba and with whom we travel quite a bit let me know that their son, Dave, is working at a Wine Wholesale Shop in Detroit, called Woods Wholesale Wines.  I went onto the website and felt like I had died and gone to heaven.  I jotted down numerous wines that I hadn't been able to find anywhere else....not even on wine.com.

The best thing?  He drops them off with Mickey and then she brings them up here to the shop, or in this instance, right to my doorstep!!!  I am doing a little happy dance all over the house.

Let's take a look at what Red Wines from Provence the others are sharing.......

Bandol Rouge

The price of this wine from Woods Wholesale was $62.  That is more than I would normally pay for a bottle that wasn't for a holiday or special occasion.  I ordered this wine up on December 29, what would have been my parents 83rd Wedding Anniversary. 

I originally had planned on serving it up on NYE, unfortunately my husband suffered a stroke and spent NYE and the following week in the hospital.  The wine went into the wine fridge.  It wasn't until the beginning of February that we were able to open the bottle but we certainly had a lot to celebrate when we did.  

My husband is doing amazingly well....he is back to normal life.  He does get tired faster than he used to but each day he gets stronger and is no longer taking naps during the day.  He is a walking miracle and I couldn't be more grateful.

Beef Daube Provencal

This bottle is spicy and smooth.  It is a blend of Mourvedre and Grenache.  It was wonderful to open with this dinner but it would also age well.  Domaine Tempier is located on hill made of chalk and clay.  I wanted a dinner that could stand up to this wine and was excited when I found this stew recipe from Provence.  

Beef Daube Provencal with a Bandol Rouge pin

This recipe is adapted from one found at Cooking Light.  It was hearty and rich and paired beautifully with this fruity, dry wine.


Entrees, Beef, Stew, Braised,
Entrees, Beef, Stew
French
Yield: 6 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Beef Daube Provencal

Beef Daube Provencal

Chunks of beef and vegetables braised in red wine until fork tender and then served over fluffy noodles.
Prep time: 15 MinCook time: 3 HourTotal time: 3 H & 15 M

Ingredients

  • 2 t. olive oil
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 lb. stewing beef
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 c. red wine
  • 4 carrots, scraped and cut into chunks
  • 3 parsnips, scraped and cut into chunks
  • 1/2 lg. onion, diced
  • 1/2 c. beef broth
  • 1 T. tomato paste
  • leaves from small sprig of rosemary, chopped
  • leaves from large sprig of thyme, chopped
  • dash of ground cloves
  • 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 lb egg noodles, cooked per package directions

Instructions

  1. Heat the oil in a dutch over over medium high heat.  Season the beef with salt and pepper.  Add to the hot oil and sear on all sides, about 5 minutes.  Remove to a paper towel lined plate.
  2. Add the wine to the dutch oven and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.  
  3. Add the garlic, onion, carrots, parsnips, beef broth, tomato paste, rosemary, thyme, cloves and tomatoes to the dutch oven.  Bring to a boil and return the meat to the pan along with the bay leaf. 
  4. Cover and place into a preheated 350* oven for 2-3 hrs, until beef is fork tender.  Serve over cooked egg noodles.

Notes:

Adapted from a recipe found at Cooking Light.

Calories

270.49

Fat (grams)

5.41

Sat. Fat (grams)

1.53

Carbs (grams)

38.85

Fiber (grams)

5.07

Net carbs

33.79

Sugar (grams)

5.61

Protein (grams)

9.95

Sodium (milligrams)

196.59

Cholesterol (grams)

12.33

12 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear Frank is doing well and on the mend. And the two of you could enjoy the Domaine Tempier, an absolute classic, together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would so be doing a happy dance also! You found a Domaine Tempier! That is the creme de la creme in Bandol! Give a toast to the iconic Lulu Peyraud, who the world lost earlier this year, I have read so many stories of her at Domaine Tempier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic! What a great wine resource. And I am SO grateful to read that Frank is doing so well. Hooray. Cheers for this wine pairing. It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You scored with Woods Wholesale Wines... I'd be doing a happy dance too, definitely a splurge worthy bottle! And a great one to enjoy with Frank, so glad he's better and continuing to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy that your husband is doing well enough for you two to enjoy this wine together! And how lucky for you to have found a red wine from Provence as they aren't easy to come by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Payal I am so happy to hear your hubby is doing well and back to his old self! I love Domaine Tempier and I think having this bottle on hand to celebrate your husband's recovery is meant to be! Love that you get doorstep delivery too;)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.