Thursday, March 14, 2019

Pork Ramen Soup #ImprovCookingChallenge

You don't have to wait for Soup Saturday to serve up this delicious dinner.  This Pork Ramen Soup comes together quickly making it perfect for a busy weeknight meal.


Join the members of the Improv Cooking Challenge as we create recipes containing Pork and Ramen.

cover photo, No photo description available.

Improv Cooking Challenge is hosted each month by Nichole of Cookoholic Wife. This month she asked us to create a recipe using Pork and Ramen.  Let's see what everyone cooked up.


I was excited when I got this challenge.  I have a Teen now and you know what she likes to eat?  Well, yes, pizza.  But you know what else?  Those packages of Ramen Noodles that I have never tried and boxed mac and cheese, you know, the ones that are bright yellow and made with powder instead of cheese.

We didn't have her when she was young so her eating habits were formed without the benefit of developing a palate that is excited to try new and different foods.  It is a struggle for me.  My sister tells me not to sweat the small stuff but can a person survive on that pre packaged, highly processed foods?  She does love vegetables and I am happy about that.

I took this challenge as an opportunity to give the Teen her Ramen and give me the chance to get some nutrition mixed in with that soup.  I threw out that seasoning packet, not sure what's in there. Then I added some ground pork spiced with ginger and garlic and a full head of Napa Cabbage.


      It was one of those nights when we were eating in shifts so I made the base and then as each of us ate we warmed the base to a boil and added in the noodles to our individual servings so that it didn't lose the toothsome quality.


      Frank ate his before he went to is meeting while I was still at my meeting. I ate mine when I came home from my meeting and Marissa enjoyed hers when Frank picked her up on his way home from her school commitment. Luckily we don't have days like this very often but when we do, soup or stew is a good way to go.


      #soup, #asian, #cabbage, #pork, #noodles, #quick, #easy, #onepotmeals,
      Entrees, Soups, Pork
      Asian Fusion
      Yield: 6 servingsPin it

      Pork Ramen Soup

      This Pork Ramen Soup comes together quickly making it perfect for a busy weeknight meal.

      ingredients:

      • 1 lb. ground pork
      • salt and pepper to taste 
      • 1 T. ginger paste
      • 1 T. garlic paste
      • 1 bunch scallions. white and light green parts, sliced
      • 6 c. beef broth
      • 3 T. soy sauce
      • 2 t. hot sauce, or to taste
      • 1 small head Napa Cabbage
      • 2 (3oz) pkgs Ramen Noodles, seasoning packet discarded

      instructions:

      1. Heat a dutch oven over med high.  Add the pork to the pot.  Season with salt and pepper.   Cook and stir until crumbly and browned.  Stir in the garlic, ginger and scallions.  Cook and stir for a minute or two then add the broth,  soy sauce and hot sauce.  Bring to a boil.  Add the cabbage, cook and stir until wilted.  
      2. Divide the noodles between 6 bowls.  Ladle the hot soup over the noodles and let sit for a few minutes until the noodles are reconstituted and to your desired tenderness. 
      calories
      397.16
      fat (grams)
      22.98
      sat. fat (grams)
      8.56
      carbs (grams)
      19.70
      net carbs
      18.43
      protein (grams)
      26.52
      sugar (grams)
      0.49
      Created using The Recipes Generator


6 comments:

  1. What did she think? I can admit to eating way too much ramen as a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She ate 2 bowls but the next night when she wanted Ramen she said she wanted the regular kind.

      Delete
  2. I love good food, but once in a while I love a package of ramen too. This looks like a delicious way to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good and I have a confession, it is the first time I have ever eaten ramen.

      Delete
  3. It looks delicious, as you rightly said make a perfect meal.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.