Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Unplanned Planned Leftovers

Turn those St. Pat's Leftovers into a Hearty Barley Soup.




When I wrote up my Weekly Menu I had planned on making Corned Beef Hash and Eggs for brinner tonight using the leftovers from St. Pat's Day.  Here is what I found when I pulled out the container of leftovers.



Yep, that's it.  Just two skimpy slices of corned beef sitting on top of a lot of veggies.  Time for plan B.



I diced up the corned beef, chunked up the veggies and put it all into a soup pot.  I added some beef broth and some quick cooking barley.  I would have added a can of tomatoes but I was out.



A quick easy, peasy and delicious dinner in the blink of an eye.  Doesn't get any better than that.



#soup, #leftovers, #cabbage, #barley,
Soups, Leftovers
American
Yield: 6-8 servingsPin it

Cabbage Barley Soup

prep time: 5 minscook time: 20 minstotal time: 25 mins
Turn those St. Pat's Leftovers into a Hearty Barley Soup.

ingredients:

  • Leftovers from Corned Beef and Cabbage Dinner (corned beef, cabbage, onions, carrots and potatoes) cut into bite size pieces
  • 6 c. Beef Broth
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • 3/4 c. quick cooking barley

instructions:

  1. Place leftovers in a dutch oven or soup pot.  Add the barley and broth.  Bring to a boil over med high heat.  Boil for 10 minutes.  Reduce heat, taste and season as needed with salt and pepper.  Simmer for another 10 minutes and serve.
Calories
97.07
Fat (grams)
3.15
Sat. Fat (grams)
1.12
Carbs (grams)
10.92
Fiber (grams)
1.66
Net carbs
9.26
Sugar (grams)
1.09
Protein (grams)
6.26
Sodium (milligrams)
1078.03
Cholesterol (grams)
12.79
Created using The Recipes Generator

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.