Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Instant Pot Dublin Coddle (adapted for #FMD) #FoodieExtravaganza

I cooked up this traditional Irish dish in the Instant Pot.  Not only that but I also adapted the recipe to make it fit into my eating plan for this month.


Bacon and Sausage combine with vegetables to make this traditional dish that the Irish call Dublin Coddle.


My friend Karen of Karen's Kitchen Stories is hosting this month's Foodie Extravaganza.  Where we celebrate National Food Holidays each month.

No photo description available.

In honor of St. Pat's Day, Karen asked us to share an Irish recipe for this month's event.  Perfect!!

I have shared a lot of St. Pat's recipes.  I normally have a dinner party and invite my brother whose birthday is the day after St. Patrick's Day.  Usually I make Corned Beef and Cabbage for a crowd.  I always start the meal with soup, like this Irish Root Soup followed by a salad.  This Shades of Green salad was delicious.

I began the Fast Metabolism Diet again as part of my Lenten journey.  I started before Lent as I needed to start taking better care of myself again.  So I needed to adapt the recipe I'm sharing with you today to be FMD friendly.  


I did this by using nitrate free, turkey bacon and smoked sausage.  I also omitted the potato for my serving.  I am allowed sweet potatoes but I was out of them.  But before I share this quick and easy Instant Pot recipe let's take a look at what the others are sharing.

March 17 is National Irish Food Day, or National "Eat Like an Irishman" Day. My #FoodieExtravaganza friends and I are all sharing Irish themed recipes to celebrate! Karen of Karen's Kitchen Stories, is our host. Check out this collection of recipes celebrating Irish food:

This recipe can be made using the same technique with thick cut bacon, or better yet Irish bacon, and Smoked Sausage of choice.


#Irish, #stew, #sausage, #bacon,
Entrees, Stews
Irish
Yield: 4 servingsPin it

Instant Pot Dublin Coddle

prep time: 15 minscook time: 35 minstotal time: 50 mins
Bacon and Sausage combine with vegetables to make this traditional dish that the Irish call Dublin Coddle.

ingredients:

  • 1 pkg. Turkey Bacon, nitrate free, diced
  • 1 lb. Turkey Smoked Sausage, nitrate free, sliced
  • 3-4 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 2 lg. carrots, scraped and  sliced into thick rounds
  • 1 lg. sweet onion, diced
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 c. beef broth 
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

instructions:

  1. Heat the Instant Pot to the saute setting.  When hot, add the bacon and sausage, cook, stirring occasionally until the bacon and sausage is browned in spots.
  2. Add the onions and continue to cook for a few minutes until onions start to soften.  Add the garlic and cook and stir a minute more. Turn off saute setting.  
  3. Add the potatoes and carrots to the pot, season with pepper and add the broth.  Seal the pot with the lid.  Select manual setting and set timer for 20 minutes. 
  4. You can allow the pot to release steam naturally or use the quick release method.

NOTES:

**If following the FMD eating plan,  omit the potatoes or use sweet potatoes

Recipe adapted from one found at All that's Jas.
Created using The Recipes Generator






6 comments:

  1. Well I might just have to get an instant pot now. This sounds absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious! It's great to have an Instant Pot version of this delicious stew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply delicious! Wish I had an instant pot.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.