A perfectly fried egg drizzled with lemon-and-herb sauce is a popular first course in Northern Italy's Piedmont region.
I first heard of this dish while finishing the first novel in a new series I started featuring Detective Georgiana Germaine, Little Girl Lost.
This is the first novel of a new series by Cheryl Bradshaw featuring Gigi, a detective who dropped off the grid for a couple of years after suffering a devastating loss. She is called back into service when her brother-in-law is killed, and her niece is abducted.
You will get glimpses into the background of Gigi and her dysfunctional family who live in Cambria, California, and work in San Luis Obispo. This is the area of California where my brother lives and where I have spent a lot of time, so I am enjoying the familiarity of the locations.
Toward the end of the novel, Gigi decides to return to the land of the living to keep working and reconnect with friends and family. One of these friends, Giovanni, Gigi's college roommate's brother, now owns a restaurant in New York City. Gigi flies out to have dinner with him, and the first course is Uova al Cirghet, as he remembers her love of eggs.
I enjoyed the novel and have started the second in the series. I also enjoyed this delicious first course, which I served to Roz for dinner one night after a relaxing day by the pool.
Yield: 4 servings

Uova al Cirighet
A perfectly fried egg drizzled with lemon-and-herb sauce is a popular first course in Northern Italy's Piedmont region.
Prep time: 3 MinCook time: 5 MinTotal time: 8 Min
Ingredients
- 4 eggs
- 6 T. olive oil, divide
- 1 T. capers (rinsed and drained)
- 6 anchovy fillets (in oil, drained)
- 1 small garlic clove (finely minced)
- 1 T. dried Italian Herbs
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 T. red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Instructions
- Heat 5 Tablespoons of olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the anchovy fillets and cook, stirring, until they dissolve and melt into the oil.
- Finely mince the garlic, capers, and herbs into a paste. When the anchovies dissolve into the oil, add this mixture, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until fragrant but not browned.
- Stir in the vinegar and lemon juice. Cook for a minute or two. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the remaining Tablespoon of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat.
- Crack the eggs into the skillet and cook sunny-side up.
- Place each egg into a dish and drizzle with the herb oil. Serve with crusty white bread for dipping.
Notes
Recipe adapted from one found at Taste Atlas.
Nutrition Facts
Calories
264Fat (grams)
26 gSat. Fat (grams)
4 gCarbs (grams)
2 gFiber (grams)
1 gNet carbs
1 gSugar (grams)
0 gProtein (grams)
7 gSodium (milligrams)
178 mgCholesterol (grams)
167 mgProperty of A Day in the Life on the Farm





No comments:
Post a Comment
I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.