Thursday, April 13, 2017

Baked Eggs with Tomatoes #EasterRecipes


We are still celebrating Easter Week with the group from Holiday Fun With Our Blog Friends.  This event is being hosted by Christie of A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures.

I have been having all kinds of fun with this project.  I am sharing a mixture of recipes that would be perfect for Easter brunch or dinner.  Of course, they are also delicious and well received any time of the year.  Mother's Day is fast approaching and I don't know any Mom who would not love being honored with a lovely brunch or dinner.

This is the second egg post that I am sharing this week.  We raise laying hens and they are very happy that Spring has sprung.  I am getting 6-8 fresh eggs each day so we are in egg heaven here on the farm.



This is a great recipe that I find works especially well if you have unexpected guests arrive around mealtime.  I normally have all these ingredients on hand and it takes only moments to throw this together.  The presentation is lovely and people are alway impressed.


I like baking them up in these little individual casseroles that I have when it is just Frank and I. When we have more people I use my ramekins.


You can always stay casual and super simple by just putting the eggs on top of the tomatoes in an oven safe skillet and serve it up family style after baking.  This recipe I'm giving you today is only for 2 but if you were serving 4 or more a skillet works perfectly as the tomatoes would make a nice bottom layer when you double or triple the recipe.


I chose to sprinkle a little Parmesan Cheese on mine this time but that is completely optional. You can bake them without cheese or add any cheese that you have on hand or of which you are partial.


This dish is good to the last bite.  It makes a nutritious, hearty breakfast served up with a side of hashbrowns and toast.  A quick, light lunch served up with a salad and croissant or a great Meatless Monday dinner served up with some homemade Italian bread for sopping up the juices.


Baked Eggs in Tomatoes (Uova al Piatto con Pomodori)
adapted from Italian by Carla Capalbo

2 T. olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes with juices (2 cans if serving more than 2 people)
1 t. dried basil
salt and pepper to taste
1-2 eggs per person
Shredded or grated parmesan cheese, if desired

Heat the oil in a skillet over med high heat.  Add the onion and cook until fragrant and golden.  Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper and basil.  Cook for another 10 minutes or so, until the tomatoes are very soft and the sauce has thickened a bit. 

Divide tomato mixture between individual casseroles or ramekins.  Add one or two eggs on top of each serving and season with salt and pepper.  Sprinkle with the cheese, if using, and place into a preheated 375* oven for 10-15 minutes or until the whites are no longer runny but the yolk are still soft.  Print Recipe

Let's see what the others are sharing today

2 comments:

  1. I love eggs, and this sounds like a delicious flavor combination! I'll have to try it when my parents visit, as my dad is a HUGE tomato fan. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.