Reading these novels featuring Georgiana "Gigi" Germaine by Cheryl Bradshaw is like watching a television series.
In the first novel of the series,
Little Girl Lost, we meet Gigi, a police detective on leave and living off the grid for a couple of years after a devastating, traumatic loss. One of Gigi's signature traits is her love of eggs. She eats eggs every. single. day. I served up
Uovo al Cirighet in my review of this first novel.
In these next two novels in the series, we learn more about why Gigi loves eggs so much. Eggs are pure comfort food for her and remind her of time spent with her father. Gigi has 3 siblings, all of whom were very close to their father, who served as the head of a Detective Squad before being killed in a hit-and-run accident.
When he came home from work, the other 3 kids would run to him and clamor for his attention, but not Gigi. Gigi would get up early each day, and her father would make her eggs for breakfast while the rest of the house slept. Gigi cherished those times with her father and the memories left behind.
My Marina gave me some beautiful eggplant from her garden before I left after watching Little Miss and Mister M while they attended an Ed Sheeran Concert. After the kids had gone to bed that night, I finished Little Broken Things, having finished Little Lost Secrets the day prior while lounging in the pool.
I knew I wanted to make another egg dish as an homage to these novels. I had already shared an
Eggplant Shakshuka recipe with you a few years back. I wanted to use the eggplant while it was fresh from the garden, so I decided to share a recipe based on Lidia Bastianich's Suffocated Eggplant with Scrambled Eggs.
These novels are quick reads; each one features a crime (so far, all murders) that Gigi solves as she deals with other life events, including dating a member of a Mafia family. In Little Lost Secrets, we learn the aforementioned breakfast relationship with her father as Gigi investigates bones found in the walls of a house that lead to discoveries of other deaths, including her father's.
In Little Broken Things, Gigi wades into an investigation that helps her come to terms with her reticence about sharing her true self and being more transparent with those she loves.
I shared the recipe for Suffocated Eggplants (Melanzan Affogata) yesterday. I reserved one cup of the sauce that I reheated. I then lightly scrambled some eggs and mixed some of the sauce into them.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.